Adobe sRGB

12 years 11 months ago #71927 by LSK01
Why is it, that when I shoot in the Adobe sRGB color space, I get less saturated and somewhat pale looking pictures?

12 years 11 months ago #71931 by Spin the world
Because you aren't using a color managed program to view them. Try looking at them in a color managed program that will interpret Adobe RGB, like Lightroom or Photoshop

The problem is very complicated, but put more simply, Adobe RGB has a large gamut of colors, but your monitor has a small one (sRGB). If the program you're using doesn't interpret the colors of the Adobe RGB image to render properly on your sRGB monitor, then they'll look brown and washed-out, especially the greens.

12 years 11 months ago #71933 by MLKstudios
That's because it is a small color space used for the web. To get the best image quality in camera, you'll need to shoot RAW, then convert to sRGB later if needed.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #71935 by LSK01
the thing is, even when viewing Adobe sRGB thru the viewscreen on the camera displays a less saturated photo compared to a picture that I shot on sRGB

12 years 11 months ago #71941 by Spin the world

LSK01 wrote: the thing is, even when viewing Adobe sRGB thru the viewscreen on the camera displays a less saturated photo compared to a picture that I shot on sRGB

The colourspace is sRGB. And that's because the gamut of your viewscreen is also in sRGB, and it sounds like your camera isn't using colour management.

12 years 11 months ago #71943 by Trooo

MLKstudios wrote: That's because it is a small color space used for the web. To get the best image quality in camera, you'll need to shoot RAW, then convert to sRGB later if needed.

Not everyone wants to shoot in raw...even if that is the best solution.

12 years 11 months ago #71945 by LSK01

Trooo wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: That's because it is a small color space used for the web. To get the best image quality in camera, you'll need to shoot RAW, then convert to sRGB later if needed.

That's exactly it, I want nothing to do with raw. It just sounds like too much work.

12 years 11 months ago #71949 by Trooo

LSK01 wrote:

Trooo wrote:

That's exactly it, I want nothing to do with raw. It just sounds like too much work.

Shooting in raw, isn't a lot of work, but the post processing can be. All depends what you plan on doing with the image.

12 years 11 months ago #71965 by photobod
Shooting in raw is just a matter of switching your mode over to raw that is the easy bit, then when you post process it doesnt have to be hard work, I spend about 1 minute on average with each image thats after I have deleted the ones I dont want, it is simple if you just stick to cropping, adding a bit of contrast if needed, lighten or darken if needed it couldnt be simpler.
Those people that spend lots of time on one image are usually changing the image to something like HDR or into a painting etc.
Give it a go, then if you are not happy go back to your jpegs.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #71967 by Nikonjan
I always shoot RAW. It only takes a second in Adobe bridge to enchance the tones and colors. If you shoot in the wrong white balance it can easily be changed in RAW, RAW is like a negative. It keeps all the info. Jpeg throws it away and deteriotes with each use and manipulation.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #72547 by John Landolfi

Nikonjan wrote: I always shoot RAW. It only takes a second in Adobe bridge to enchance the tones and colors. If you shoot in the wrong white balance it can easily be changed in RAW, RAW is like a negative. It keeps all the info. Jpeg throws it away and deteriotes with each use and manipulation.

:agree: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72549 by DestinDave

John Landolfi wrote:

Nikonjan wrote: I always shoot RAW. It only takes a second in Adobe bridge to enchance the tones and colors. If you shoot in the wrong white balance it can easily be changed in RAW, RAW is like a negative. It keeps all the info. Jpeg throws it away and deteriotes with each use and manipulation.

:agree: :goodpost:

:agree: :agree: Ditto that!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #72593 by Baydream
For sports and action shots, like active wildlife, I shoot jpegs to allow a higher "burst rate". When I don't need the high tares, I use RAW+jpeg. That gives me the best of both worlds.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72757 by Henry Peach

LSK01 wrote: That's exactly it, I want nothing to do with raw. It just sounds like too much work.

Just stick to the sRGB color space. It does a great job. It's what your monitor displays. It's what the web wants. It's what your lab wants. Adobe RGB is supposed to have more range mainly in the cyans and greens. Do you see any problems with your cyans and greens in sRGB? :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024