I have a love/hate relationship with Lightroom

12 years 11 months ago #72605 by crystal
I'm just letting you all know. Up until now I loved Lightroom. Now as I want to actually print through Lightroom, I don't like it all that much.

I can not print larger then 8x10.
An 8x10 print gets printed on a 11x14 paper....when it's suppose to be a 11x14 print
A 5x7 print only half gets printed on a 5x7 paper.

So inconclusion Lightroom will only print 8x10.

I am glad to say, I love my printer, otherwise I would be more pissy right now. It's a good thing, I can print just fine through Windows (like I always been) or Photoshop without any problems. Never had problems printing a 13x19 or smaller. Just thought I would give Lightroom a try for printing. @!#%$#%$#^@#$^%$^
12 years 11 months ago #72633 by Baydream
I have had that issue with other PP software. Some don't seem to recognize the characteristics of certain printers. Maybe there is an software or firmware update available.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72643 by chasrich
I don't do much printing but that would seem like a serious restriction. I'm wondering if it is intentional to get customers to upgrade to another product or perhaps they have addressed this limitation in a later revision of Lightroom.

Thanks for the heads up in either case. I'm thinking about moving up to Photoshop one day as most tutorials are geared for that program. Lightroom might just be one of those intermediate steps that is best skipped.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #72743 by Henry Peach

crystal wrote: So in conclusion Lightroom will only print 8x10.

That's not it. Somewhere you've got settings, software, or communication wrong. Make sure you have the latest upgrades for your printer. See if you can find a tutorial on printing with LR. There might even be one with your printer. Good luck! :)
12 years 11 months ago #72773 by photobod
Its probably that Lightroom cannot cope with being worked by such a beautiful woman as yourself Crystal :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #72787 by crystal

Henry Peach wrote:

crystal wrote: So in conclusion Lightroom will only print 8x10.

That's not it. Somewhere you've got settings, software, or communication wrong. Make sure you have the latest upgrades for your printer. See if you can find a tutorial on printing with LR. There might even be one with your printer. Good luck! :)

Are you sure that's it???? I mean have you printed using Lightroom a print size larger then 8x10?
If you have, let me know how to do it.
Because I have been printing with my Epson since I bought it in 2005. Never had any size printing problems. My printer can print large sizes with out no problem. Until I decided to use Lightroom. Now I like Lightroom as a PP software, which is why I decided to use it to print.

But in Lightroom under the Print Tab, it only goes up to 8x10. You can not custom size it larger. Then when you hit Print, and the Print Windows comes up, click under properties, I can choose my paper type, if I am printing on sheet or roll and of course print size. Which I choose 11x14. click ok, click print. I put in 11x14 paper, and an 8x10 photo prints.

Just yesterday there was a latest update to Lightroom, which I installed (this was before I printed).

Like I said, seeing I can use Photoshop and Windows to print the sizes I want with no issues. I believe it's Lightroom and there's nothing (that I know of) that I can do about it.

Now anyone here that uses Lightroom, that has printed larger then 8x10 through Lightroom. I would take your help, because it's a pain in the ass to save all edits to harddrive just to print. I feel like I am using Photoshop. lol
12 years 11 months ago #72791 by crystal

photobod wrote: Its probably that Lightroom cannot cope with being worked by such a beautiful woman as yourself Crystal :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

aww David you are too sweet.
12 years 11 months ago #73041 by crystal
Well isn't that nice. I google my issue with lightroom and you know what was the first thing that came up on the search......this thread. :rofl:
12 years 11 months ago #73057 by MLKstudios
There is a lot of information here:

www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Check Adobe TV for training videos.

BTW I was on the development team of Lr beta.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73217 by cod
OK, first the good part (I hope).

Lightroom doesn't have a built-in 11x14 template, but you can still create templates and prints for any size you want.

First, use the Page Setup dialog to select 11x14 page size. Makes life easier if you choose your paper size first.

In the Layout panel on the right of the print module you can control the size of the cell in which the image prints. Set all margins to 0. Page grid settings should be set to 1. Set Cell Size settings14 in and 11 in for height and width. This lets me print a borderless 11x14 on my Epson 1400.

You can play with these settings to get all types of creative cell sizes, borders and arrangements which still prints on the paper size you chose. If this works for you, go to the Print menu --> New Template to save your settings as an 11x14 template for future use.

Now the sad part. When I checked to make sure this worked I encountered the same problem you had, the print was smaller than the paper. It took me three prints to realize all was fine - I was printing on 13x19 paper by mistake.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 10 months ago #73841 by crystal

cod wrote: OK, first the good part (I hope).

Lightroom doesn't have a built-in 11x14 template, but you can still create templates and prints for any size you want.

First, use the Page Setup dialog to select 11x14 page size. Makes life easier if you choose your paper size first.

In the Layout panel on the right of the print module you can control the size of the cell in which the image prints. Set all margins to 0. Page grid settings should be set to 1. Set Cell Size settings14 in and 11 in for height and width. This lets me print a borderless 11x14 on my Epson 1400.

You can play with these settings to get all types of creative cell sizes, borders and arrangements which still prints on the paper size you chose. If this works for you, go to the Print menu --> New Template to save your settings as an 11x14 template for future use.

Now the sad part. When I checked to make sure this worked I encountered the same problem you had, the print was smaller than the paper. It took me three prints to realize all was fine - I was printing on 13x19 paper by mistake.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks, I will try that. ...After I get the printer align. Yesterday I was printing no problems, then all of a sudden, I see lines in my photos. So since yesterday I've been working on aligning the damn thing. trying to choose the straight line and the smoothest box isn't easy after my eyes get all bugged out.
12 years 10 months ago #74309 by cod
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but sometimes lines in a print can mean the heads need cleaning too.

Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 10 months ago #74443 by crystal

cod wrote: Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but sometimes lines in a print can mean the heads need cleaning too.

Chris

Been there, done that. The heads are the first thing I clean when I plan to use the printer. I know it's the alignment because I just played around with it today to fix it, printed a photo and it's better then yesterday's photo but still F up.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024