Using Expired Film

12 years 4 months ago #179169 by McBeth Photography
I just won an auction on feebay for 15 rolls of Fujifilm Reala Superia 100, let's just say that the price was right. I placed my bid even though I saw that this film had expired in 2007.

If you are a film shooter, how has your experience been shooting with expired film? :huh:

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #179177 by Rob pix4u2
Barry to be honest if it has been kept cold it should be OK to use but if not your guess is as good as mine

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 4 months ago #179178 by McBeth Photography
Well I do like surprises, lol. I decided to get some film and have a little fun while I save up for another DSLR. I guess I'll shoot one roll and then pixel-peep when it comes back from the lab. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #179185 by icepics
Well I haven't bought much expired film, just an occasional roll that was recently expired, but have used film that I had on hand that was past the expiration date, probably within a year. Didn't notice any difference from fresh film with that.

I don't know about color film but I found B&W film in an old family camera and got it developed, turned out fine and boy were my relatives young in the pictures!! - probably had been in the camera 30 years at least. It's supposed to be possible to use old B&W film if you do a long exposure.

Just got some expired Polaroid film packs fairly recently and stuck them in the fridge, haven't tried them yet. If you store it in the fridge I think you'd need to get the film out before you use it and let it come to room temperature. I haven't stored film in the fridge in a long time but I'm pretty sure I let it warm up to room temperature before I put it in a camera.

I was thinking the same thing, since you bought a good number of rolls I'd go shoot a roll and see how it turns out.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179190 by icepics
And if you get really wild and crazy Barry and want to try things like changing film mid-roll or anything, let us know! LOL

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #179193 by McBeth Photography

icepics wrote: Well I haven't bought much expired film, just an occasional roll that was recently expired, but have used film that I had on hand that was past the expiration date, probably within a year. Didn't notice any difference from fresh film with that.

I don't know about color film but I found B&W film in an old family camera and got it developed, turned out fine and boy were my relatives young in the pictures!! - probably had been in the camera 30 years at least. It's supposed to be possible to use old B&W film if you do a long exposure.

Just got some expired Polaroid film packs fairly recently and stuck them in the fridge, haven't tried them yet. If you store it in the fridge I think you'd need to get the film out before you use it and let it come to room temperature. I haven't stored film in the fridge in a long time but I'm pretty sure I let it warm up to room temperature before I put it in a camera.

I was thinking the same thing, since you bought a good number of rolls I'd go shoot a roll and see how it turns out.

Talk about a cool surprise! Finding a family camera with new-old pics in it would be pretty cool!

My mom asked me recently to help a bit with their kitchen remodel. When we were cleaning out a few drawers in the kitchen I found 5 or 6 used (but not developed) rolls of film. I talked Mom into sending out a couple of rolls to see if they would develop ok and when they came back they were fine. Pics were of my Dad's boat, a boat that he had sold 20 years ago. You just never know!

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #179195 by McBeth Photography

icepics wrote: And if you get really wild and crazy Barry and want to try things like changing film mid-roll or anything, let us know! LOL

We'll do! lol. I don't think that you can change rolls until they're finished, you just change the ASA/ISO. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #179311 by icepics
With film you have to set the ISO/ASA on the camera the same as the film. It's not like a digital camera where you can reset it as you're shooting.

It is actually possible to change film mid-roll; I sometimes do with a manual/mechanical SLR camera. I can feel when the film releases from the spool and stop then so I leave a 'tail'. (I usually advance the film beyond 1 when I first put in the roll, so when I rewind it later I won't lose images at the beginning of the roll.) Then when I put the roll back in I advance it with a lens cap on, til I'm back to the point where I stopped shooting.

Not sure if it's possible with an autofocus camera since the camera automatically powers the film rewind. Guess it could be if you used a film leader retriever to pull out the end of the roll after you rewind it. (I suppose that's why they make those!)

This is starting to sound like more trouble than it might be worth! LOL - for me it's second nature so it's quick and easy, but I suppose it may not be for people who haven't used film cameras.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179317 by McBeth Photography

icepics wrote: With film you have to set the ISO/ASA on the camera the same as the film. It's not like a digital camera where you can reset it as you're shooting.

It is actually possible to change film mid-roll; I sometimes do with a manual/mechanical SLR camera. I can feel when the film releases from the spool and stop then so I leave a 'tail'. (I usually advance the film beyond 1 when I first put in the roll, so when I rewind it later I won't lose images at the beginning of the roll.) Then when I put the roll back in I advance it with a lens cap on, til I'm back to the point where I stopped shooting.

Not sure if it's possible with an autofocus camera since the camera automatically powers the film rewind. Guess it could be if you used a film leader retriever to pull out the end of the roll after you rewind it. (I suppose that's why they make those!)

This is starting to sound like more trouble than it might be worth! LOL - for me it's second nature so it's quick and easy, but I suppose it may not be for people who haven't used film cameras.

Lol, note to self... *finish the roll before changing it* !

I was just kidding about changing the ASA/ISO, I do appreciate your insight and experience Sharon. I have realized that I'll probably be shooting with my F3HP for about the next six months or at least until I finish night school, to be honest, this doesn't disappoint me at all and it is really nice that all my lenses just got wider because of the crop factor that I was used to with the D70.

Sooooooo, goodbye autofocus and matrix metering for a little while until I get into another digital body. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #179331 by icepics
Well, you know how sarcasm and humor don't come thru so well on the boards...! LOL I don't know what it's like for people who started out with digital and haven't used film, it's the opposite for me. Especially since I've hardly used autofocus film cameras, luckily I got a digital camera that stops short of reaching out and bonking me on the head to say things like go charge the battery! :rofl: Have fun with the adventure (or experiment), it doesn't matter that much which kind of camera you use as long as you're enjoying it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography, Bob Eaton
12 years 4 months ago #179332 by Gary Trent photography
In my estimation, color film dated 2007 may not be all that good.
Color film is more susceptible to color fading unless the film
was stored in a cold environment ... ie: frozen.

Color film (over B&W) has a lower latitude and depletes with age.

Yes, shoot a roll but if the contrast is missing and the color is the
least bit off (shifted) I wouldn't waist a lot of time exposing the rest.
Fujifilm Reala Superia 100 was never a fav of mine for starters
because of it's over-all "green" tinge.
Good luck !

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #179345 by McBeth Photography

Gary Trent photography wrote: In my estimation, color film dated 2007 may not be all that good.
Color film is more susceptible to color fading unless the film
was stored in a cold environment ... ie: frozen.

Color film (over B&W) has a lower latitude and depletes with age.

Yes, shoot a roll but if the contrast is missing and the color is the
least bit off (shifted) I wouldn't waist a lot of time exposing the rest.
Fujifilm Reala Superia 100 was never a fav of mine for starters
because of it's over-all "green" tinge.
Good luck !

Thanks for the input Gary, the ebay seller said it had been stored in the cooler but, who knows?
I have heard about the green color tinge but for the price I paid, it is worth a roll of the dice. :)

I have found by polling a few film shooters that they either love Fujifilm Reala Superia 100 or hated it.....no one sits on the fence on this one. For me it's all about having a good time and getting a nice image once in a while so for me it's a good deal either way.

:)

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #179347 by Bob Eaton
I`ve been shooting film since 1975, and I`ve found that unless its been sitting in a sauna, it should be fine!!!!! I just picked up some expired film at a camera show, and I shot a couple of rolls and they turned out fine!!!!!! I love film!!!!!!!! :banana: :beerbang:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 4 months ago #179474 by icepics
A sauna...:rofl: good one Bob!

But that made me think, one thing I don't do with film is keep it in a hot car - usually toss the film in my pocket/purse or bring the camera with me.

I haven't really used Fuji much, either get Kodak or Ilford, or at a couple of now defunct camera shops used to get Agfa or Konica. With processing now I don't think it makes as much difference. One thing that's nice is that they'll scan it on a CD for you, I sometimes do that instead of prints.

Barry if the film turns out not to be any good, you could start another thread on '1001 Things To Do with Expired Film'... #1 Hang it from the ceiling as fly paper...

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Eaton
12 years 4 months ago #179576 by Stealthy Ninja
This thread makes me feel like it's 1995. :blink:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024