Would you do weddings if you were me, lol?

12 years 6 months ago #158468 by JACC0811
For those that don't know, which is probably 99% of you all lol, I shoot primarily automotive subjects. Either car show coverage or feature shoots. My wife does some portraits, but not many. Never shot a wedding in my life, other than a few quick snaps at a couple friends weddings. But, car shoots can become few and far between and I need to keep the family fed, you know?

But, I've been thinking. Should I consider getting into wedding shoots? I've been thinking about trying my hand at it in the spring, but it would probably require buying more gear, which at this point, my budget doesn't allow for. Not even renting is an option. Kind of difficult to shoot a wedding on one body, a kit lens and an old 80-200mm EF-S I just got, lol.

I'm going to search for articles to see what a good minimalist gear set-up would be, especially if I have to shoot alone. But I would like some opinions, good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks!

Automotive and Architectural Photography
Pop's Garage Photography - www.facebook.com/popsgaragephotography
www.popsgaragephotography.com

12 years 6 months ago #158469 by butterflygirl921
I think you should go for it....I have never shot weddings but one day i hope to but it's probably going to be really cool for you to put out "feelers" for it see if you like it and if so its really good money

The following user(s) said Thank You: JACC0811
12 years 6 months ago #158470 by VT Hiker
No.

Not given your current impression, anyway. Weddings are a big deal (duh), and not surprisingly, can be stressful and tiring, so you have to want to shoot them. If you don't have a genuine desire for that your results will be as bland as your motivation.

Weddings do require some special equipment - namely, a good fast lens or two and a good flash head. Depending on your style, you may also want to add some lights, reflectors and backdrops. Shooting people coming down the aisle or on a dancefloor will present a whole new world of challenges; you have to be fast and roll with the punches.

The best thing I think you can do right now is observe your local wedding scene. What are others putting out there? This can lead to another good guide if you should wade into these waters or not by considering what you can offer a bride and groom. How will your style be different from your competitors'?

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #158471 by icepics
I would imagine for anything you're considering, you'd have your homework cut out for you - especially weddings. Sounds like there's a lot more involved in wedding pictures than there used to be. That hasn't been anything that I've wanted to try myself.

Do you have any other interests that might lead to some photography opportunities? Or could there be a market for car photos that you haven't run across yet?

Oh and we're almost 'neighbors', or at least in the same neck of the woods. I've done some sports, if that's a possibility for you I'd be glad to let you know what worked for me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Sharon

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158473 by JACC0811
Thanks for the input so far.

Honestly, I am on the fence about it, obviously. But, I have thought about at least working out a deal with the next friends on the list to get married and see if they would let me shoot everything. Either work with the photographer they hire, or take on the job, just my wife and myself.

I truly do understand how much work is involved, at least 80-90% of it. I've watched the photog's at a few friends and relatives weddings recently, and even though they are working hard, the work does interest me quite a bit.

I have ideas on ways to be different from other photographers. Some major, some minor, but different none the less.

I'm still interested in other opinions though, so keep them coming.

Thanks again!

12 years 6 months ago #158474 by JACC0811

icepics wrote: Do you have any other interests that might lead to some photography opportunities? Or could there be a market for car photos that you haven't run across yet?

Sharon,

Well, weddings has come to mind the most, so that was the reason for the post. But, I have been looking in to other areas as well. I've been doing some marketing for real estate work and senior pic's. In one of my previous jobs, I worked in a machine shop, so I have tried to also pull in some commercial work with manufacturing and robotics companies we dealt with, with little to no luck. Most of them already have someone.

In my climate, automotive photography goes stale in late fall to early spring.

12 years 6 months ago #158490 by TheNissanMan
A lot of people look at weddings as it is a well known area of photogrpahy and can pay well if you are good and built up a reputation but, it is a difficult area to shoot.

You will need backup equipment and a thorough understanding of light and know your equipment inside and out. Unlike most forms of photography you don't get a second chance, it is someones special day which usually can not be replayed if something goes wrong.

I have been asked to do numerous weddings and turned each one down as a I don't have the right kit, b the thought of missing an immportant shot and letting someone down does not appeal to me and c the stress involved as a weekend warrior is not something I am personally interested in as I get enough of that in the office.

If you have the kit, the knowledge and the balls to do then go for it as I know it can be fun if it is what you enjoy.

Only you know if you feel ready for it but it's worth doing the homework first.

Do you have any opportunities to shoot as a second shooter to see if it is something you would enjoy?

12 years 6 months ago #158552 by JACC0811
I've been looking for 2nd shooter op's around the area, but most people I contact either will contact me if they need someone or already have the help they need.

I guess, I'm looking at it more from the aspect of higher income than the projects I do now, no matter how hard the work.

I'm going to keep doing my homework, and try to find some 2nd shooter op's and maybe get the experience to book a few weddings in 2013 if I really like it, or as early as next summer.

I'm so used to shooting things that don't move after the shot is composed, like cars and structures, people are a bit of a challenge, so to speak lol. But, I don't like being settled with just one area. I like to be versatile and experienced in many things so if asked to do a job, and I liked doing it the last time, I can take it without feeling miserable. Or, if I didn't like it, I can turn it down with confidence.

12 years 6 months ago #158710 by boriqua latina
Id say go for it ...you gotta do your homework first, find out what equipment you need, read on tips for wedding shots, read, read, read... Also, Pratice with your friends first so u can have a feeling of how it is... if you dont have friends whos getting married, then go to a church and ask the photographer whos shooting a wedding if u can come along to watch and learn....the first, second third time its hard, so is learning how to ride a bike or riding a car... IF this is your wish why not give yourself a chance and try it, this could be your calling , you never know..Go in it with love, confidence and patience and faith that things will go well...study other wedding photos, take baby steps,ask your wife to be your assistant or a second shooter, and if all else fails trust GOD!!! and if you dont like it then youll have no regrets, then u can say i DID IT!!!! iM SO EXCITED FOR YOU ALREADY... :thumbsup:

12 years 6 months ago #158781 by Robynaudrey
I think you should go for it. It seems as if you have given it a fair amount of thought, but may be a little nervous of breaking into a new scene. As the posts above have said - make sure that you have the right equipment and a back up for if something goes wrong. It will be best if you do the wedding with another photographer and be sure that each of you captures all the special moments and then work out a strategy on who focuses on what for the rest of it.

It should also become less of a mystery if you meet with the couple before-hand to discuss style and content, and also try to get in some practice shots at the rehearsal.

Good luck.

12 years 6 months ago #158785 by Stealthy Ninja
Mmm i shoot a lot of events and have done a few weddings. Weddings are very tiring and demanding. Plus if you mess up something then you've messed up the memories for someone.

So yeh, try as a second shooter and IMHO even if you decide to go for it as a "first shooter" you should always have a 2nd shooter for events like this.
12 years 6 months ago #158790 by photobod
I shoot weddings so have plenty of experience so heres my tuppence worth.

You must have a back up camera in case your main camera fails (trust me they do)
You need a decent quality flash with a good diffuser or small softbox, also the ability to shoot with flash off camera is a good idea.
You need a second shooter, it is almost impossible to get every shot you need to cover a full wedding on your own, suppose the bride and groom are at seperate locations miles apart how would you shoot them both getting ready, whilst you shoot the main photos your 2nd can watch out for moments such as tears, laughter, mishaps and all the small details.
You must know your camera like the back of your hand as you will be changing things on it constantly such as iso, speed, aperture etc.
You must be a people person able to get on with the most awkward of people, trust me mothers and mother in laws can be a nightmare, you have to be firm but patient, kind, respectful, understanding etc ets.
You must produce photos that make your couple gaze at with wonderment and even cry at the memories unfolding before them, if not their will be no recommendations and your business will need them.
I could go on forever but I will leave it there, thats enough to contemplate for now, contact me in pm if you have any questions or ask away in this thread I will happily advise.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #158813 by Henry Peach
I wouldn't shoot weddings without some sort of back-up for all the gear. Not just a body, but lenses, flashes, cords, etc... I'm not one to say you have to have the fanciest equipment, but imagine trying to explain to the couple on the wedding day that the photography is over because something broke or malfunctioned. :sick: It's not a matter of if something is going to break, it's when is it going to break.

I think almost any modern DSLR body is fine, but many parts of the wedding day will be in dim light, and sometimes flash may not be allowed. I consider fast ( f/2.8 ) zooms and primes essential.
12 years 6 months ago #159048 by JACC0811
So far, I think what I will do is keep thinking about it, buy some current books on the subject at Amazon and see if I can get some 2nd or even 3rd shooter work in during the next few months, thru 2012. Get as much experience, knowledge and practice that I can before deciding if it is an area I really want to add to my services.

I will also double up on my gear in the meantime. Something I want to do anyway. I'd like to get a 5D and 7D so I have a full frame body and a step down for a back-up and use my current T1i for a back-up to the back-up lol. I still have a couple lenses to get as well.

So, I still have plenty of time to do my homework and get some experience in.

I appreciate everyone's input!

12 years 6 months ago #159140 by icepics
Sounds like you're on the right track. Just as you said - experience, knowledge and practice - I think . those are key and should help you figure out what direction to go.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024