How are photography studio's staying in business these days?

12 years 3 months ago #192270 by Tennis Guy
A good friend of mine had to close his doors on his photography studio today. Last couple years photographers working from their homes, and craigslist photographers under pricing him paid it's toll.

How are photographers able to keep a studio these days?

12 years 3 months ago #192352 by Catti1era
Probably by lowing their prices, offering deals and giving what the customer wants....photos on CD. This is a great question for any photographer here who owns a studio to let us know what they are doing to keep their business going.

12 years 3 months ago #194395 by CatherineW
I think more photographers will just be working from their homes. I don't have a studio and work from home studio myself. Cost a lot less :P

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #195746 by Lauren C
Working from home does cost less, but also changing with the time. If any business doesn't change with the time, they won't be in business long.

12 years 3 months ago #195762 by Darrell
I agree change with the times, good example is Blockbuster is gone and yet Netflix took a new direction, that could of been done by Bockbuster. A few years ago photographers offered framed portaits and etc, now they offer DVD/s and web size images with the hard copy option, I encourage my clients to post images on facebook with a link to my page, works great.....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #204129 by Tamgerine
By not being a Craigslist quality photographer and businessman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: studioaphoto
12 years 2 months ago #204163 by Baydream
A few will excel but even the best are often combining home and studio.
Here's a couple of success stories. Kirk has been one of our annual contest judges.
www.trurodaily.com/News/Local/2012-02-23...aphers-earn-awards/1

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214446 by PNMBritt
I am a full time portrait photographer and have been for several years now. Recently, times have been tough. I have been forced to look at the business as a business / marketing person instead of an artist. That is not fun and has required me to get a lot of outside help. I have done many things to survive, too many to list. However bringing my clients home is not one I have had to do yet. (Thank God!) I have focused on demographics. I have several lawyers, judges, medical professionals, and even a couple of politicians as clients. My clientele certainly expects more from me, but they would never be happy with most people that claim to be photographers. They appreciate finer things and therefore, I would suggest heavily joining PPA, and starting to work on accreditation. This can be expensive and not nearly as easy as it sounds. My narrow client list has required me to travel a bit more, as well. I have a winter business in S.W. Florida that I guard closely. It is a nitch of portrait business that I did not realize existed, much less was as profitable as it has turned out to be. I keep that one somewhat quiet, but the point is you definitively have to get out of the box and look for business outside of what the norms are. Business rarely comes to me, and I think that is the downfall of most brick and mortar studios.

That being said this has been an usually tough year, though this was not expected. My April and May are looking great, but I would be lieing if I told you I wasn't loosing sleep over this coming wedding season. I don't have near enough booked and this is causing me to get back out of my box again and look for some more cheese. Speaking of cheese, Every photographic professional now should read the book, "Who Moved My Cheese." I guess that book sorta sums it all up.

When I hear of a photographer sweating the 'Soccer Moms with Cameras", or the Sears, Penny's studios, I shake my head and say a pray of thanks that it isn't me. I had two people just last week ask me about doing some work for them. As opposed to giving them a sales pitch, or a card, I just gave them and idea of what they would be spending with me as not to waste their time or mine. They both quickly left, and I got back to my session with the mayor of this particular small town. When we were done, he gave me the name and number of another small town mayor that might need some work done. That is time better spent.

Best of luck to you. It is a tough business, but the shrewd and a little snobbish will survive. :)

Andy

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
12 years 1 month ago #215265 by modernme
Wowza, this thread doesn't sound too encouraging for the beginner photographer that wants to own their own business.

Dimi
Canon T3i

11 years 11 months ago #232726 by PiedmontPhoto
My advice to anyone wanting to go full time as a photographer is... don't. This is one of the toughest times for those of us in the business but having said that, would I do it again? Yes. Are photographers going to go full time anyway? Yes. Why on earth would someone go full time when there are so many who struggle? Probably because, like me, they love photography and can't imagine doing anything else.

Times have been tough lately but I haven't lowered my prices and have actually raised them. My regular clients haven't batted an eye over the increase and those looking for the "cheap" guy wouldn't have liked my old prices. I am very up front about cost. That quickly weeds out the people I don't want as clients. I'm not afraid to send someone to Wal-Mart if that's really what they want. On that note, I was recently approached by the local Wal-Mart photographer who had me make portraits of her children. Her words were, "I don't want any of that crap we sell." Although I wouldn't say that Wal-Mart portraits are "crap" I would say they are average. Average isn't one of my offerings and the people who come to me expect creative portraits and quality products. They are looking for something different.

I work out of my home, not because of cost, but because it seems to be a more relaxed atmosphere for my clients. I have also started using a portable setup that enables me to go to the client. That way, I'm at their home where they are most relaxed. I give free Facebook size, copies of all pictures bought (with my website address printed neatly at the bottom) and let the customer do some of my advertising for me. I offer a wide product line including prints, canvas, mounted and/or framed prints as well as novelty gift items. I will often throw in a novelty item with package deals especially with new customers.

I don't do anything for free unless it's for a reputable charity. Don't fall prey to the "if you do this for free, we'll pay for the next one. We just don't have it in our budget right now," Rest assured that they're getting paid for the work they do and you should too. Imagine trying that at a car dealership, "If you give me a car, I'll buy the next one from you." You'd be laughed out of the showroom.

If you are still planning to jump into the fray, be prepared to do somewhere around 20% photography and 80% everything else. Honesty, the least important aspect of your business is the photography. The most important is the business/marketing aspect. I personally know some photographers that are pretty average (some below) but have a good business because of their stellar marketing/business skills. I see the opposite as well; folks who are killer photographers but don't succeed because they can't grasp the business side.

I could not agree more with what Andy said about joining the PPA. It will help you immensely with the business side and connect you with people eager to help you succeed. On top of just being a great group of people, they will always be there, standing behind you, to give help, support, encouragement and, if you are a part of the indemnification program, legal help. They now give members $10,000 worth of equipment insurance. That benefit alone is worth the cost of annual membership fees. I highly recommend that all photographers be a part of the PPA. It will be one of the best business decisions you'll ever make.
11 years 11 months ago #232730 by geoffellis
One option I have seen is shared studio space. 3-4 people could easily share a large studio space. So a rental that might have been 1000$ a month, will only cost you 250$ a month. Most portraiture isnt shot all day long. as long as everyone shares a scheduling system (to avoid conflicts), it would be a cheap but effective to have your "own" professional studio space.
11 years 11 months ago #233326 by Jim Photo

geoffellis wrote: One option I have seen is shared studio space. 3-4 people could easily share a large studio space. So a rental that might have been 1000$ a month, will only cost you 250$ a month. Most portraiture isnt shot all day long. as long as everyone shares a scheduling system (to avoid conflicts), it would be a cheap but effective to have your "own" professional studio space.

:agree: good advice, I have a few friends who are doing this and it's working out very well for them.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024