Looking Professional

6 years 4 weeks ago #589370 by toodefmark
So I am getting some attention as a photographer and have paid work lined up.  However despite having the creativity and an obvious eye for it, I don't have the technical foundation and am not right up on Photoshop, Lightroom etc. Still learning. I don't want to look amateur at the meeting for some fairly substantial work and need to know things like.....What are industry standard formats and sizes for say billboard, magazine etc. so I don't embarress myself and lose it.

6 years 4 weeks ago #589463 by garyrhook
You're not proficient at post tools, nor understand resolution and sizes, and you're getting paid?

Do you not see a problem here?

Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #589472 by toodefmark
I do but have the eye, creativity and equipment to get noticed. I'm learning post production fast, but yes you're right. That's why I'm asking advice

6 years 4 weeks ago #589473 by toodefmark
And we all have to start somewhere right?

6 years 4 weeks ago #589477 by garyrhook
Cart -> Horse

Of course we all start somewhere. But I'm not a fan of charging customers to learn my craft.  That said, if you found suckers victims clients will to do so, good on you.

You want to do a web search (i.e. research) on viewing distance and resolution. You need to understand that large things require a lot of data, which is why some commercial work is done with medium format cameras.

Print publications will have their own requirements for resolution and format. You may be able to start off with having as much resolution as possible. I don't know if mags work at 300 dpi or what, but you need to bone up on printing, color space, and stuff like that.

Best.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #589514 by toodefmark
Thanx for that. I will look into it. Most of the work is product placement and since I travel a lot and climb I get some unique photo opps. They always end up with a great set of shots but you're right, I want to behave responsibly and make sure they're getting the files they need and are paying for. Mostly the shots are blown up for advertising placements, so I use RAW for everything.

5 years 11 months ago #595614 by Nikon Shooter
Lots of talented amateurs are killing the trade by trying to go too
fast. If you want to "look like a pro", be one = do your homework!

Sorry if this sounds harsh. B)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #611714 by loveharp

Nikon Shooter wrote: Lots of talented amateurs are killing the trade by trying to go too
fast. If you want to "look like a pro", be one = do your homework!

Sorry if this sounds harsh. B)

I agree that we have to be a pro but I think online persona should just be as good as your skills as well. Many people often look at how photographers are packaged online these days.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024