Building a business

12 years 10 months ago #90929 by mj~shutterbugg
I want books. What books have you all read that you would recommend for me as business guides? I find I prefer critiques to get better artistically but if you have a photo book you believe is a must put that in here too. I am trying to build a business library of sorts. Thanks!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #90935 by Rob pix4u2
THE PHOTOGRAPHERS BUSINESS AND LEGAL HANDBOOK by Leonard Duboff
PROFESSIONAL TECHNIQUES FOR THE WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER by Goerge Schaub
The PHOTOGRAPHERS HANDBOOK by John Hedgecoe
SELL AND RESELL YOUR PHOTOS byRohn Engh

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #91201 by icepics
I have an older edition of an ASMP book on business practices where I found some helpful info.; they've got a newer edition out (saw it on their website, I don't remember at which bookstore I found the one I bought). I have something by Hedgecoe too.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #91207 by Maria21
The Photographers Market by Vik Orenstein (note they come out with a new edition each year, I buy a updated edition every cpl of years to keep up to date on the contact information)

The Photographer's Market Guide to Building your Photography Business by Vik Orenstein

The Photographer's Assistant by John Keiffer (this book is geared more for the assistant, but has lots of useful information on setting up a studio & the behind the scenes stuff you may not know.

I have a cpl more but can't seem to find them at the moment & will post them when I find them. These are the three I use most often. I have a few of the others mentioned as well.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98869 by steveheap
Dare I put forward my own book?

It is not in the category of making your full time living out of photography - more aimed at competent amateurs looking to make enough to pay for the equipment (and more besides) that they need to create their images. Getting Started in Stock is available as an eBook from my web site.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #99615 by MLKstudios
It boils down to building a reputation and a clientele. Those two kind of go hand in hand.

Takes some time and dedication is all.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #102067 by crystal

steveheap wrote: Dare I put forward my own book?

It is not in the category of making your full time living out of photography - more aimed at competent amateurs looking to make enough to pay for the equipment (and more besides) that they need to create their images. Getting Started in Stock is available as an eBook from my web site.

Steve

Sure why not Steve. MLK advertises his schooling every other post, every day. So letting others know about your book is no big deal. :)
12 years 9 months ago #102069 by Baydream

crystal wrote:

steveheap wrote: Dare I put forward my own book?

Steve

Sure why not Steve. MLK advertises his schooling every other post, every day. So letting others know about your book is no big deal. :)

:agree:
I'm going to check out Steve's book.
While you are waiting fro your books to come in, check out these in the Articles Section of PT.

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...photographers-part-1

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...photographers-part-2

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...tography-breaking-in

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...aphy-an-introduction

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #102091 by steveheap

Thanks! It is selling reasonably well at about one copy a day, and I have had some nice feedback from a couple of the buyers, and so I hope it meets the need. It is aimed at photographers started in microstock, and is a "how to do it" book. I don't try to explain what sort of photographs sell best (if I knew that, I would be rich) - rather it covers what works for me, what my workflow is, what tips and tricks have I picked up etc. Microstock is not easy, and can absorb a lot of time, but with organization, you can increase your productivity considerably.

Steve
Getting Started in Microstock Photography

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #102237 by Baydream

steveheap wrote:

Thanks! It is selling reasonably well at about one copy a day, and I have had some nice feedback from a couple of the buyers, and so I hope it meets the need. It is aimed at photographers started in microstock, and is a "how to do it" book. I don't try to explain what sort of photographs sell best (if I knew that, I would be rich) - rather it covers what works for me, what my workflow is, what tips and tricks have I picked up etc. Microstock is not easy, and can absorb a lot of time, but with organization, you can increase your productivity considerably.

Steve
Getting Started in Microstock Photography

Just read your book. Wow, is that a lifesaver. So much info that I will be reading it over and over. Great job.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #102279 by steveheap
Great feedback! Thanks very much for your kind comments. It makes it all worthwhile!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #102631 by Baydream

steveheap wrote: Great feedback! Thanks very much for your kind comments. It makes it all worthwhile!

Steve

Hope you don't mind. Posted the book link on my FB page. I have a lot of photographer friends in Virginia and Nova Scotia.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #102669 by steveheap
I don't mind at all - I'm glad of any publicity!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #111028 by Willis eTech
I just purchased your ebook Steve. Stock photography is an interesting art form and I hope to benefit from your experience. Thanks for posting the link to it.

Anyone else interested in stock photography might want to check this out.

How to get started in Microstock photography

12 years 9 months ago #111109 by steveheap
Thanks! I'd welcome any ideas for improvement for version 2!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024