Need Opinions: Photo Contest Topic: "TRANSPORT"

12 years 2 months ago #195673 by Joiemagic
Next weeks weekly photo contest topic is: "TRANSPORT"

This idea came to me as a way of thinking "Outside the Box." Need some feedback on the idea, as well as any thoughts some of you may have to improve this, if any. This was one of my first test shots... Feel free to comment....

One thing I realized is I should not be so quick to drink the tea (was sipping as I was shooting), and will probably reshoot so you can see some liquid in the mug... My earlier shots had it and it looks good.

Transport by Fadde Photography , on Flickr

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 2 months ago #195686 by chasrich
I like your comp - it is outside the box... Go with this idea.

The lighting needs to be off camera. There is reflected glare on the sugar bowl and cup. The reflection that bothers me most though is the table. There are options available... adjust the light or perhaps a tablecloth or dark surface. I would also try available room light or even take the show on the road or in your case the patio.

Let us know how you do. :thumbsup:

Oooooooooo - shoot this out on the highway. Wear an orange vest! :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joiemagic
12 years 2 months ago #195709 by scifitographer
Cool idea, Ditto getting the flash off camera. Maybe use a background that isn't orange, it's reflecting onto your hand and making the color look icky.

chasrich wrote: Oooooooooo - shoot this out on the highway. Wear an orange vest! :rofl:

Dude, get with the times, they're not orange anymore. They need to be yellow/lime green type 3 with reflective stripes accented in orange. ;)

12 years 2 months ago #195763 by Joiemagic
Thanks guys... I agree with the "Off Camera" flash. Now just have to figure out how to do it. I only have a short off camera cord. Gonna try adding a diffuser and also try some bounce off my white ceiling. Also, lets see what I can do about the reflective table. Will post results.

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #195888 by Baydream
Great idea. I think you're on the right track using a diffuser and some white reflector (board, etc) to smooth the light. Good thought on the tea also. Make an extra "cuppa" to drink. ;)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #195892 by pottsy62
You could make use of an old umbrella... spray the inside either white or silver, then shoot the flash backwards into the painted umbrella. I remember my dad used to do this with an old Yashica SLR and came out with some stunning shots :judge:

Hey, YOU... Yes - YOU...come and see my site...
:rofl: :cheers: :thumbsup: www.snowleopardanimation.com.au :thumbsup: :cheers: :rofl:

12 years 2 months ago #195908 by photobod
A black tablecloth would accentuate the mug and the spoon, put a flash behind the scene so that a mug of hot tea will steam and the steam will be highlighted by that flash, even with a short cord you should be able to get off camera enough to make a difference with the front flash, best of luck in the comp. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #195943 by Joiemagic
Here we go with two more shots from tonight... still see a small flash reflection... diffuser was on the flash mounted on a flash bracket this time. Got home late this morning, so I will be trying again tomorrow... Used a red non skid cabinet liner.

Comments welcomed

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #195978 by Baydream
Getting better. Try setting a small flashlight to "paint" the cup a bit. Maybe an LED flashlight. You can use a tissue to soften if necessary.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #195994 by chasrich
I like it... big improvement in the lighting. These subtle differences pay dividends in the long run.

I'm getting just a hint of DOF where the sugar bowl is slightly out of focus. This is not a bad thing but what if... you narrowed the DOF to really make it more deliberate. Then increase the DOF to eliminate that blur... Try focus stacking but you might need a model to hold the spoon... :rofl:

The idea of backlighting and using HOT coffee has merit. Can we see some nudity as well? If might not help in the contest but some of us like that sort of stuff... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #196018 by Wolfman
I think you did an excellent job. good lighting, composition.

12 years 2 months ago #196174 by Joiemagic

chasrich wrote: I like it... big improvement in the lighting. These subtle differences pay dividends in the long run.

I'm getting just a hint of DOF where the sugar bowl is slightly out of focus. This is not a bad thing but what if... you narrowed the DOF to really make it more deliberate. Then increase the DOF to eliminate that blur... Try focus stacking but you might need a model to hold the spoon... :rofl:

No models available at 2:00 in the morning, when I am taking these photos (Working the 4X12 shift at the hospital).

I actually am going for the shallow DoF and wish I could get a bit more, but if you saw how I have my camera set up in my kitchen to get these shots (no, not the Ghetto tripod), you would see it might be quite hard to do that. Hell, if you saw what I am doing physically to get these shots, you would be amazed.... :rofl: Then again, we are all photographers, so maybe not... :rofl:

Am using my 70-300 lens cause I know I can get a bit more of the look I am going for with that lens. I want the sugar bowl slightly out of focus for this shot. I want the sugar on the spoon and it's destination to be the focus.

I now have a black felt cloth that I am gonna try shooting with tonight (this morning). Will post them when I finish... Will be looking for more input when I do. Thanks. Presently, I am leaning towards the 3rd picture, but let's see what I get today.

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #196200 by Joiemagic
OK, here are my third and last versions of this topic using the black felt under the sugar boowl and mug... Decisions, Decisions... Which to go with...

Comments and thoughts are welcomed...

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #196211 by photobod
What a huge difference with the black background, everything has started to pop, love the red shirt, the DoF for me is just about right, not wanting to be finniky but steam from the cup would make this an absolute winner, I dont know if you have a second flash to put at the back but if you have give it a go it will highlight the steam perfectly, if not then you still have a great shot, lets hope the judges see how much effort and thought that has gone into this theme. :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #196228 by Baydream
Where is that home run emoticom when you need it. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024