Need Opinions: Photo Contest Topic: "TRANSPORT"

12 years 2 months ago #196233 by chasrich
By jingo you got it... The red shirt adds a lot but the black background makes the shot. But you knew that when you first saw the results. :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #196365 by icepics
This looks much better and really cleaned up the background. I think the black background cut distractions although the mug with lettering seems to draw my attention.The mug and the hand seem more rugged I guess? so I don't know that the bowl and spoon seem to quite go with them.

If I didn't already know the theme I don't know that this would say 'transport' to me, maybe if more of the spoon showed from a different perspective, say from the side heaped with a 'load' of sugar? Maybe it would be worth thinking about how you're drawing the viewer's attention to the transport from one vessel to another. This is a creative idea for the theme, it's probably a matter of when the judge(s) see it if the end result conveys the theme to fit the contest. .

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joiemagic
12 years 2 months ago #196438 by Joiemagic

icepics wrote: This looks much better and really cleaned up the background. I think the black background cut distractions although the mug with lettering seems to draw my attention.The mug and the hand seem more rugged I guess? so I don't know that the bowl and spoon seem to quite go with them.

If I didn't already know the theme I don't know that this would say 'transport' to me, maybe if more of the spoon showed from a different perspective, say from the side heaped with a 'load' of sugar? Maybe it would be worth thinking about how you're drawing the viewer's attention to the transport from one vessel to another. This is a creative idea for the theme, it's probably a matter of when the judge(s) see it if the end result conveys the theme to fit the contest. .

When I post the photo - using the middle one of the three black backgrounds - I will be giving it the title: "From Sugar Bowl to Mug" thereby adding a bit more into letting the judges, who are the other site members, understand a bit more, my vision of what they are looking at. I didn't want to simply do a creative photo of a truck, plane, automobile, or bus... I wanted something completely different, and this definitely fits the bill.

In this week's contest, the subject is "Rock or Stone Formations" The majority of the submissions are of Mountains and outdoor rock formations with some other creative thoughts along the way, but one person, who is almost stealing my thunder one week in advance took three colorful pieces of "Rock Candy" and placed them together on top of each other, also against a black background and submitted that photo. It is nicely done and definitely out of the box. The reactions and comments have been great for it. Let's hope I get the same for the creativity and execution. Time will tell.

One added note, especially with the black background, was that I did have a heap of sugar loaded on the spoon, in each of my attempts and I kep losing some of the sugar in moving the spoon. White shows up really well on Black, That is for sure... If you look at my original shots, you can see the sugar in between the bowl and the mug. On the black, I just cloned out the sugar. I had to keep blowing the fallen sugar away after each shot and like I said before, if you saw the acrobatics I was doing to hold the defuser in my left hand (for the overhead light) and get the right positioning of my right hand and the spoon, you would understand why I was spilling a lot of sugar along the way.

Thaks for the input though, from everyone...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 2 months ago #197704 by Joiemagic
**** UPDATE ****

I can tell you I went with the Middle Black Background Photo and have received some positive responses to my submission. Many have found it to be original and an intersting take on the topic. I do find it interesting that I have one person who simply just doesn't get it. She feels that the topic related to vehicles only, but still liked a photo someone submitted of "Feet" which is obviously the oldest form of transportation, but doesn't seem to see how the spoon can be a mode of transporting something.

Goes to show, you can't please everyone. I do want to thank everyone for their input in helping me develop this idea and come out with a finished product.

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #197711 by Baydream
Well done, Joie. Guess not everyone can "think outside the box", eh?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #197719 by Shanna-Marie
Great job Joie, your final shots are fantastic! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 2 months ago #197863 by scifitographer
Nice work, the black background made a huge difference in the overall shot. Good luck in the contest.

12 years 2 months ago #197885 by chasrich
Hindsight being 20/20 you should have gone with a wheelbarrow sugar bowl or perhaps a cofee cup with a trucking company logo on it... :rofl: :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #197941 by Joiemagic

chasrich wrote: Hindsight being 20/20 you should have gone with a wheelbarrow sugar bowl or perhaps a cofee cup with a trucking company logo on it... :rofl: :rofl:

That's it... that is what I was missing... the trucking company logo... Gotta remember that next time...

Anyone have any I can borrow...?

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 2 months ago #198000 by photobod

Joiemagic wrote: **** UPDATE ****

I can tell you I went with the Middle Black Background Photo and have received some positive responses to my submission. Many have found it to be original and an intersting take on the topic. I do find it interesting that I have one person who simply just doesn't get it. She feels that the topic related to vehicles only, but still liked a photo someone submitted of "Feet" which is obviously the oldest form of transportation, but doesn't seem to see how the spoon can be a mode of transporting something.

Goes to show, you can't please everyone. I do want to thank everyone for their input in helping me develop this idea and come out with a finished product.

Joie theirs always one in every crowd and usually female (oops) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024