Critique about photos?

4 years 11 months ago #642985 by AivarasG
Hello! I'm begginer in photography and I would appreciate your opinion about the photos that I took last day.

4 years 11 months ago #643006 by Monica Martinez
There is nod definite viewpoint for the first shot. It looks flat. For the last 2 photos, the placement of the subject in the last shot is much better. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: AivarasG
4 years 11 months ago #643218 by Eshan Rachit
The dog lacks focus a bit as well. 

4 years 11 months ago #643486 by Adam Wilson
The focus of the shots has to improve. 

4 years 11 months ago #643536 by garyrhook

Adam Wilson wrote: The focus of the shots has to improve. 

<thread hijack>
I'll take "Unhelpful Comments" for $200, Alex.

What does that even mean? The focus on the subject, or the focus of the composition? What, precisely, do you think needs improvement in either case? Improve how?

Then: does your assessment apply to every image in the same way, or could you break it down with some more words that were targeted to specific images and specific things?

IOW, for me, if someone is interested in CC, then it seems helpful to supply constructive critique. And it seems unhelpful to toss out a few words with almost zero context or focus.
</thread hijack>

A critique doesn't require a lot of words, but intentional words are helpful:

#1) what are we supposed to be looking at here? I.e. what's your subject, and why?
#2) The camera focused on the fencing, not the dog. And in general, shooting through something like a wire fence is never going to produce interesting results.
#3) The cat is in focus; the background is distracting. If your goal is a portrait of a cat, work on location and background.
#4 & 5) fingers holding small flowers, and a lot of negative space. Why? What are you trying to say here?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 11 months ago #643542 by Nikon Shooter
I certainly can not pretend to any form of art in the 
dithyramb but I can recognise when someone is try-
ing to express him/herself.

Not all can be comfortable and shine on the public
place… may it be a forum.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643562 by NewavaMike
I thought the dog one was pretty clear myself 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644027 by Kelly Emery

NewavaMike wrote: I thought the dog one was pretty clear myself 

I think otherwise. The fence is clearly in focus here instead of the dog. The dog looks very cute though, and the cat as well. But the highlights at the back of the cat is blown so it diverts the eyes of the viewer. 

4 years 11 months ago #644554 by NewavaMike
Hmmmm….??  even on largest magnification, the fence is blurry to me, the eyes and face are the clearest thing in the shot.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644556 by garyrhook

NewavaMike wrote: Hmmmm….??  even on largest magnification, the fence is blurry to me, the eyes and face are the clearest thing in the shot.  

Now that I look at it more closely, I realize how I was initially incorrect.

The plane of focus lands on the whiskers on the left side of its head (to our right of its left eye). That plane of focus also lands on the fence to the left of the head (the middle horizontal wire, about three wires from the left edge of the frame), which is what I initially noticed as "in focus". So the fence between us and the head is indeed blurry, but so is its right eye (just not as much). Basically, almost nothing is actually in focus in the shot of the dog.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #645107 by Suni Park
I can't find any interesting subject in the first shot. I was also looking for patterns but I can't find any as well. Generally, I don't get the objective of the shot. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024