Amateur photographer looking for actor headshot advice

2 months 3 days ago #721526 by RockyPeli
I consider myself an amateur photographer though I've had a few paying gigs. I've done mostly family/lifestyle photography and professional headshots for friends on the side. I haven't done headshots for the acting space yet. My nephew asked me to do his to update his Actor's Access profile and for acting school applications. Any advice for styling or what talent reps or casting directors would look for? Suggestions on types of background(s), poses, editing, etc. to do (or to avoid) would be helpful. He's 16 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #721528 by Nikon Shooter
Since acting is doing, being a role that is borrowed, felt and played
by an actor, I don't care much about anything else but portraying a
"go for it" attitude from the actor him/herself.

In this, the expressions should span from usual subdued classic to
outrageously spectacular… the photo technique may not overwhelm
but support the presentation to an AD.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #721531 by icepics
If your nephew is applying to get into acting school he might need a professional looking portfolio. Maybe it would be better to try to help him find a pro who does this type work. If it was just for fun that would be different.

Maybe he should ask any friends that are fellow actors or any he knows who have already gotten into modeling school what photographers were used. Could he ask maybe a drama/music teacher or counselor for his grade in school if they have any resources? Help him look at possible photographers' websites and their social media to see their portfolios and samples of their work.

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #721643 by RockyPeli
I consider myself an amateur photographer though I've had a few paying gigs. I've done mostly family/lifestyle photography and professional headshots for friends on the side. I haven't done headshots for the acting space yet. My nephew asked me to do his to update his Actor's Access profile a nox.tips/  nd for acting school applications. Any advice for styling or what talent reps or casting directors would look for? Suggestions on types of background(s), poses, editing, etc. to do (or to avoid) would be helpful. He's 16 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.issue got slved!!

2 months 1 day ago #721646 by Nikon Shooter

RockyPeli wrote: Any advice for styling or what talent reps or casting directors would look for? Suggestions on types of background(s), poses, editing, etc. to do (or to avoid) would be helpful. He's 16 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.issue got slved!!

You're making your life more difficult, Rocky.

Talent reps or casting directors won't care for theses things as it is
all in the character, playfulness, attitude and what not, they can re-
coins potential.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

When buying a metal print, there are tons of options to think about. In this metal print buyer's guide, learn what to look for in a metal print.

Sep 22, 2021

Use these commercial real estate photography tips to create compelling images that accurately and artfully portray commercial spaces.

Sep 22, 2021

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

What kind of monitor should you have for video work? There's a great debate between on-camera vs field monitors - let's see which is best for you.

Sep 21, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021