Outside My Window - July 4th Fireworks

11 years 1 month ago #107927 by Joiemagic
The NYC July 4th Fireworks taken from my terrace in Rockaway Beach. Camera was set on my tripod with the shutter set to BULB and an ISO of 100. Exposure on my shots varied from 1 second to about 3 or 4 seconds.

Feel free to comment and critique these.

This closeup shot is simply a crop of the shot above... wanted to see how it would come out. Not perfect, but it is decent.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 month ago #107934 by Cre8tivefix
Nice View!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joiemagic

11 years 1 month ago #107982 by Dori
Great shots!!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 1 month ago #108255 by crystal
Overall nice line up of fireworks, but there is a tad too much sky IMO. For the camera being on tripod, the pictures do look a bit blurry. Now I don't know if this is due to the uploading/posting or if it's blurry from the picture taking.

11 years 1 month ago #108857 by Joiemagic
Hello Crystal... Thanks for the comments... These photos were taken from about 8-10 miles away (as the crow flies) and I had preset the focus on the city skyline as best I could prior to the fireworks beginning. From my vantage point, the fireworks were going to be on the opposite side of the city and I did not know if I would see anything at all. I actually saw more than I thought I would. I will know now for next year, if they are on the Hudson side that I can zoom to the full 300 and still catch everything. The focal length was 200 on my 70-300 lens.

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

11 years 1 month ago #108927 by chasrich
Sorry for not posting before. This got buried in the scroll somehow. I like these a lot. Crystal has some good suggestions and I have to agree on the sky comment. I have a question. Were you using bulb and if so did you have a remote shutter release?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

11 years 1 month ago #109024 by Joiemagic
Yes, I was using bulb and did have a remote shutter release. Averaged about a 2 second shutter opening on all the shots I took that night.

I definitely appreciate and understand the Too Much Sky comment Crystal made. Never thought about cropping out the sky and making the shots more of a panoramic pic... I just posted them as shot em... Let me try that and post them here...

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

11 years 1 month ago #109044 by Joiemagic
OK, let me try one at a time...
OK, here are the shots again cropped down to remove much of the sky... I have to agree... they do look much better. I definitely understand what the two of you meant, now that I see it. Like I said, never thought of cropping the sky out.... just posted them as I shot em... Let me know what you think now.... I added a few extra ones, including one that my son took that has some camera shake that blurred the shot a bit... still like the way it came out though...

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

Attachments:

11 years 1 month ago #109046 by Joiemagic

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

Attachments:

11 years 1 month ago #109047 by Joiemagic
OK, now it is working...

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

Attachments:

11 years 1 month ago #109049 by Joiemagic
and the final three...

My son took this one... had some camera shake, but I like how it came out with the rings.....

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

Attachments:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these passive income photography ideas, you can expand your revenue stream without putting in a bunch of time and effort.

Aug 10, 2022

There are many types of canvas prints. The question is, which one is right for you? Use this guide to find out!

Aug 10, 2022

Photography storytelling can be done in many ways with different subjects through various mediums. Use these tips to learn more about telling stories with your photos.

Aug 08, 2022

Effective photography marketing requires pursuing multiple avenues for advertising your business. Get some insight into how to market your business in this guide.

Aug 08, 2022

As a beginner photographer, there are many different digital camera features to learn. This guide introduces you to some of the most important ones.

Aug 03, 2022

What is a prime lens? How are they different from zooms? Find out in this beginner photography tutorial on prime lenses!

Aug 03, 2022

A wood frame canvas print doesn't just need a high-quality, good-looking canvas. It also needs a well-built wood frame to keep the canvas tight.

Aug 02, 2022

Use these simple, straightforward newborn photography tips to improve the quality of your images and wow clients with beautiful photos of their baby.

Aug 02, 2022