Working on Composition. Suggestions Please!!

12 years 7 months ago #142801 by J. Hansen

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\IMG_0242-1.jpg[/attachment]

I am trying to work on my composition to hopefully cut down on the amount of cropping I have to do. I like what I have but I know it can always be improved. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. This old truck is just across the street so I can pop over to try out any suggestions!Thanks for looking!!

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #142872 by Wood
I like the first and 2nd pictures. The 3rd one is a little too crop in. The 4th one looks good as portrait.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are about the same crop, but 4th pic is portrait and at a different angle so it adds something more the picture.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142876 by Baydream
I would love to see just a bit more "greenery to the left and top to get ol' Bessy off dead center. I just think it might look less static (although it "aint goin' anywhere". :P
The extra space gives a sense of "place".

I always try to leave just a bit of extra space around my subject for composition and different print sizes.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #142889 by Wood
These goes along with what Baydream said, ..
You see how you have space on the right side of the truck. Well move that space to left side and it will give a sense of the truck going somewhere....the direction, the future.

Composition is partly about showingly where the subject came from and where it's going. With this subject, it's would probably be better to show where the truck is going.

12 years 7 months ago #142919 by KCook
For me the 4th one (vertical format) is the best. With that one I would also try shooting from spots nearer the truck, zooming wider to maintain the same scene width as the original. May as well make these color, you can always PP to mono tone later.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #142949 by J. Hansen

The first one is the color version of the 4th picture B&W. The second one is the original of the 1st picture, Should I just leave it be or maybe just crop a little off the bottom???? :unsure:
Thanks to all who have commented so far! I am off with recharged batteries to go try some more shots. Will check back!!

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #142953 by KCook
No need to crop out the bright grass at the bottom. That can be fixed in PP.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #143058 by icepics
I like the color better for this because it shows the two-tone of the paint and rust. This is a nice subject the way it's nestled in the bushes and branches. I think I actually like the original horizontal better than the crop except for the rear wheel rim or something that shows to the lower right, that seems to be more distracting than adding anything to the photo because you can't really tell what it is.

I notice there's some light reflected in the windshield to the right; you might try moving around a bit and changing your vantage point to see how else you might catch light in the windshield - it might be different w/how sunny/cloudy it is and the time of day.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #143078 by JBPhoto
I guess none of the shots are wrong.
In my opinion I like the second image, the fourth image appears 2-dimensional, the angle with the fourth giving more depth.
I know this is about composition however I too notice reflection coming from windscreen and front of chrome fittings, waiting for overcast/couldy conditions could fix this it may also allow for deeper/richer colours.B)

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #143161 by Baydream

JBPhoto wrote: I guess none of the shots are wrong.
In my opinion I like the second image, the fourth image appears 2-dimensional, the angle with the fourth giving more depth.
I know this is about composition however I too notice reflection coming from windscreen and front of chrome fittings, waiting for overcast/couldy conditions could fix this it may also allow for deeper/richer colours.B)

Perhaps a polarizing filter could cut the reflection and still allow use of the brighter sunshine.
You are right. As Dewill Jones says, "There is more than on right answer".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #143169 by MLKstudios
I'll agree with Dewitt here. I like the window reflection. It looks natural to me.

However, I don't think the view (or as you call it the composition) grabs the subject as well as it could be grabbed.

Think about IT. What makes it, that rusty car, special -- is it the chrome, the medallion, the rust, or something else?

Find "it" in your eye and then bring that home with you in your camera. Then we can all share the importance of how this rusty old car connects to all of us.

:)

SN, that's the art part. Beyond what is pretty. Its essence.

"I see faces and traces of home..."

-- Peter Gabriel, The Lamb Lies Down

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #143341 by J. Hansen

Went back, tried again. Don't know what to think. I have to say I like the last one that is kinda in your face cause they were the work horses of their day and it makes it look tough, even with all the rust. Weird I know! :lol: Thank you for all the suggestions!! Will try on an overcast day when we get one.

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #143342 by MLKstudios
I like the "in-your-face" version too. Again, think about what parts of the subject have the most visual impact, and highlight them using your composition.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: J. Hansen
12 years 7 months ago #143351 by KCook
Top one: needs a lot tighter crop (and square format).

Middle one: can't win 'em all

Bottom one: back up a bit for wider scene (not a lot!), also position camera higher so top of hood can be seen

In all of these the sky reflection in the windshield is not helping. Tough to deal with, unless you wait for different weather or a different time of day.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #143459 by J. Hansen

Kelly, I cropped the picture more. Better or is it to much now?? Can not do anything about the glare until we have a more overcaste day. May get lucky tomorrow cause it is supposed to rain. Will see if I can get more of the top of the hood without loosing to much of the grill. BTW my husband thinks I'm nuts cause I keep running across the street to take pictures of the same thing over and over!! :lol:

Attachments:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024