Taylor Pond- Mt. Vernon, Maine

12 years 7 months ago #149752 by Shanna-Marie
Do you think there's too much "stuff" in this shot? I like it but it does seem a bit "busy"......

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago #149761 by VT Hiker
I don't think there is too much stuff. The problem I see is that there is no focal point, nothing that draws my eyes into it; instead, my eyes go all over searching for something. Plus, the contrast is WAY too high. I might say that some fill flash would help correct the foreground, but it would not fill the shadows on the opposite shore. Some RAW processing would help... or, of course, that HDR thing.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 7 months ago #149778 by rob vorderman
Shanna-Marie, when I enlarged the picture it is just fine.
You can lighten up the foreground a bit with the dodge tool.

What you have to do is take this picture in an other two weeks when there is more of the fall colours :)
on the trees.

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #149794 by robbie
The sky is a little too bright plus the clouds are blown,yep as a reshoot with fall colors would give a typical Shanna beauty.Did you got Elements yet,if so download a trial copy of Viveza2,

12 years 7 months ago #149798 by Shanna-Marie
Thanks a bunch for commenting on this, I appreciate it. VT Hiker-I think that's what I don't like about it too. Rob & Robbie, I'll definately take another shot soon, a little color and different focal point oughta help alot.
Robbie, I've got Elements now but I'm going back and forth between Corel and Elements. Just about going out of my mind in the process cause I don't have a freakin clue what I'm doing. If I had more time to just learn "That" it would be great but time is so darn limited right now....:(

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

12 years 7 months ago #149803 by Baydream
Some great suggestions - fill flash was my first thought and, oh my, the fall colors in Maine are spectacular.

I'm with you on learning a new editor. Working my way through the "Picture Yourself Learning Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3" book. IT is powerful but like PS, a lot to learn.

Here's hoping for great fall weather for those new shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149814 by Shanna-Marie
Thank you John, I did that too but not enough.... This is definately a "do over" shot in a week or two. I think our Autumn is going to be over quickly this year, between the hail storms that shredded so many leaves and the Hurricane that wrecked a bunch of trees. We were noticing yesterday on our way to Winthrop that there are already lot's of bare trees and the leaves never even changed much. But I'll find some, got a new filter kit coming this week so I can't wait to get out there and shoot some fall colors. :)
Oh, I had Paintshop Photo Pro X3 but installed it and have been using Pro X2 instead, I'm so darn technically challenged it's pathetic. So I'm REALLY looking forward to learning Photoshop, I'm sure a padded cell is next on the agenda. lol, kinda sad huh? :S

12 years 7 months ago #149822 by VT Hiker

Shanna-Marie wrote: We were noticing yesterday on our way to Winthrop...

Friends of mine used to live in Readfield, right on Maranacook Lake, and are now in Manchester. :)

I have noticed this year's fast progression. Not sure why that is, but I know the truckloads of rain are not helping the matter. I had two outings planned this weekend, both of which were washed out.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 7 months ago #149828 by Shanna-Marie
Readfield is such a beautiful area.... and my sister-in-law and family live in Manchester. Such a small world..... :) No, the rain hasn't helped, it's been raining cat's & dog's since I got up this morning. Sorry your plans got cancelled, I was hoping to get some pics today but I guess I'll edit some instead. Supposed to rain till Wednesday I hear....YUCK!

12 years 7 months ago #149833 by rob vorderman
OK Shanna-Marie this is what you have to do. You get "The Photoshop Elements 9 book" written by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski or any other author. If the bookstore doesn't have it, they can order it in.
I also buy a magazine called "Digital Camera" comes with a CD full of tutorials. Your bookstore will get it for you too if they don't carry it.

Good luck.

12 years 7 months ago #149872 by Shanna-Marie
Thank you Rob, I thought you were going to suggest PhotoShop for Dummies. lol, I definately need all the help I can get so I'll get me a copy. Thanks a bunch! :)

12 years 7 months ago #149883 by rob vorderman

Shanna-Marie wrote: Thank you Rob, I thought you were going to suggest PhotoShop for Dummies. lol, I definately need all the help I can get so I'll get me a copy. Thanks a bunch! :)

Now that would be an insult wouldn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:
On a serious note, yes that would be a good choice as well. :cheer:
BTW YouTube has a lot of tutorials too.

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #149965 by Shanna-Marie
Not an insult Rob, quite accurate I'm sure. :lol: Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! :)

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024