Need your advice

12 years 7 months ago #150979 by trishulpani
Hi All,

I'm a newbie in the photography world - and I recently purchased my dream dSLR. This image is from one of my latest trips. I need advice on how this image could be better or any other general opinion.

Thanks,
Trishul

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #151038 by Baydream
Start by cloning out that piece of tree in th eright sky and cropping off a bit of the "dead space" on the left. That would be a good start.
Try that a post again to this thread (as a reply) and see how it looks.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #151067 by MLKstudios
I'm not one to say how to fix this pic, but how to make your next one better. And hopefully the next and the next keep improving.

You have two competing subjects now -- the sunset and the bench. Pick one, and make it the focus of the frame.

I think the bench makes a good foreground element, and could be "supported" by a beautiful sunset. A step to the right eliminates the tree bits that Bd pointed out, and compose the sun so it isn't so much in the center.

A VERY slight underexposure will help saturate the colors, but that can also be done in post. I'd try to get the shadow details in the original.

In short, take a step right, get lower to make the bench more prominent in the frame and balance the bench with the sun (recompose).

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #151081 by photobod
Great advice from Matthew (MLK). it would also put your horizon around the thirds rule rather than near the middle, its a good effort though from a newcomer and its good that you are prepared to listen to others, we aint always right but we mean well, go try again and take on board the pointers, if you have photoshop or some other software then try adding a little more contrast or saturation, not too much though and also a touch of sharpening. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #151171 by trishulpani
Hi All,

I had actually recomposed this shot - and I'm attaching it here. Thanks a ton for your time - your suggestions are invaluable. This is the first time am getting such a lot of good suggestions and am sure this will help me get better with time.

Thanks again,
Trishul.
C:\fakepath\riverfornt_recomposed.JPG

12 years 7 months ago #151175 by trishulpani
Hi All,

I had actually recomposed this shot - and I'm attaching it here. Thanks a ton for your time - your suggestions are invaluable. This is the first time am getting such a lot of good suggestions and am sure this will help me get better with time.

Thanks again,
Trishul.

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #151191 by MLKstudios
You've eliminated the bench as a competitive subject. The sunset is now the focus of the image.

However, you've made the bench more of a distraction than a "supporting element". In general triangles in corners are to be avoided (though like any ART rule, can and should be broken at times). And you could argue that it works here.

Any cropping decision should be absolute. Not kind of, sort of a crop. Be authoritarian with the framing.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: trishulpani

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024