McDonald Pass and other stuff

12 years 6 months ago #156467 by Lonestarlady61
What do you think of these shots. I've been working on my processing skills lately.

I want a good wide angle lens and more money for photo trips.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #156518 by VT Hiker
You appear to be battling a dust/other artifacts issue in the first one. I counted 8 specks. Those can be easily removed with the cloning or healing brushes.

The second one is crooked. The landscape might actually lay that way, but seeing it within the bounds of a photograph it looks 'off'.

Nice shots though.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #156578 by West Coast
Love the reflection. It makes a really nice abstract photo. The other two are good landscape shots. :thumbsup:

12 years 6 months ago #156581 by chasrich

VT Hiker wrote: You appear to be battling a dust/other artifacts issue in the first one. I counted 8 specks. Those can be easily removed with the cloning or healing brushes.
<snip>

I counted twelve but eight of those turned out to be on my monitor...:rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #156780 by Shanna-Marie

chasrich wrote:

VT Hiker wrote: You appear to be battling a dust/other artifacts issue in the first one. I counted 8 specks. Those can be easily removed with the cloning or healing brushes.
<snip>

I counted twelve but eight of those turned out to be on my monitor...:rofl:

I love the colors in the first one and those are some beautiful landscapes too. @ Rich- too often I try cloning out some of those specks only to realize I'm having the same problem as you. Speaking of which, I oughta clean it again. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 6 months ago #156791 by Scotty
I love number 1. Just clone out those dust spots :O

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156860 by Lonestarlady61
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure what those spots were. How do you clean the sensor? I don't think the second photo is crooked. The land is crooked. ;)

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156861 by Lonestarlady61
Thanks. Sure wish I could figure out why my photos are never really sharp. Could it be my 18-55mm kit lens?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156862 by Lonestarlady61
Now quit counting my dust spots or I'll have to count them myself.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156864 by Lonestarlady61
Thanks Shanna. I didn't think the dust spots were that bad. Guess I was wrong. :unsure: I still have a lot to learn and appreciate all the feedback I can get. Can you give me any ideas on how to take sharper photos. Other than a expensive lens. :lol:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156866 by Lonestarlady61
Thanks Scotty. :thumbsup: I guess I need to figure out how to clean my sensor.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156884 by VT Hiker

Lonestarlady61 wrote: How do you clean the sensor?

You'll need to engage the "mirror lockup" function then use an air bulb to blow on the sensor. Generally, chemicals should NEVER be used on your sensor, but there are cleaning chemicals that are specifically designed for camera components; you can resort to that approach if the air bulb doesn't do the job.

You should be able to get decently sharp photos from your kit lens. Are you sure you and the camera are focusing properly? Do you understand how the aperture works?

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156886 by Lonestarlady61
Thanks for the mini lesson in cleaning the sensor. :) I know how aperture works and from what I've learned this lens is the sharpest at f/8-f/16. I use manual 90% f the time and I generally use evaluative metering to take a reading for my shots. Then make adjustments till my reading is in the middle or 1/3 stop down. I also use a tripod most of the time. Sometimes I forget to turn off the IS though and I know that causes crappy shots. I'm having a hard time figuring out hyper focal distance though. I'm not worth a darn at figuring out distances. Can you give me an example of where I should have focused in one of the 2 landscape shots from this post please. :side:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156911 by VT Hiker

Lonestarlady61 wrote: I use manual 90% f the time and I generally use evaluative metering to take a reading for my shots.

Your metering is fine.

I'm having a hard time figuring out hyper focal distance though. I'm not worth a darn at figuring out distances.

My Basic Photo teacher made it simple by telling me to focus 1/3 of the way into the scene, specifically 1/3 of the way into the area in focus. DOF falls off faster in front of your subject than behind it, so in a landscape if you focus about 10 or 15 feet in front of you then stop down to f/16, you should get everything; it really does not have to be exact.

Can you give me an example of where I should have focused in one of the 2 landscape shots from this post please.

Maybe one of the small rocks in the foreground. You would want to make sure the tall grass closest to you would be in focus, or you could move so it was out of the shot altogether.

You mentioned post-processing. What did you do for that? Can you post the originals?

As for the sharpness, crop a section at 100% and post it so we can better see what you mean when you say they are not sharp enough.

12 years 6 months ago #156934 by Joiemagic
I only counted 7-1/2 dust spots, but it could be my eye-sight... it is not the greatest anymore, so I may have missed the other half... :rofl:

Nice shots though... and I agree, the land is crooked in number 2... :beerbang:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024