Pictures of Barns - Competition Night tonight

12 years 4 months ago #175362 by steveheap
My local camera club competition night is today and the subject is Barns. There have been some nice images here on the forum on Barns, but as the person who pressed the button owns the copyright, I had to take my own (sorry for that reference to another post...)

These are the ones I am submitting - the first two as prints, the second two as digital. Any guesses on which ones will get a high score from the judge?

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #175370 by Dori
:judge: :judge: I love the third one!!!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago #175382 by Arkangel7x3
i love your color captuering its perfect

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 4 months ago #175392 by Shanna-Marie
These are excellent Steve, good luck to you ! I like them all, since the subject for the competition is barns I'll bet # 3 is high up on the list but my Favorite is number 2. There's just something about that one that speaks to me....it should be hanging on a wall. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 4 months ago #175395 by photobod
All are great but 3 and 4 are winners for me and certainly fill the brief. :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #175537 by Stealthy Ninja
Interesting photos and good luck.
12 years 4 months ago #175678 by J. Hansen
Like the overall look of your 1st photo but would like to see a little more of the barn. The 2nd photo while interseting is not my cup of tea. Did you take a pic more from the left, not so straight on?? If so I would like to see how that would look. Love the 3rd photo of the hay barn, lots of interesting contrasts. I'm no judge but that would be my pick!! Last photo like the color but can not decide if I like the overall picture or not. Well anyway I like the 3rd one best!!:):):) Good Luck!!:lol:

12 years 4 months ago #175680 by chasrich
Best of luck. I hope the judges see what I do in these images. I'm partial to number 2 and 3. I'm looking forward to seeing how you make out. You got my vote! :judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago #175739 by steveheap
Well, it was interesting. The judge was new (his second judging) - hope that doesn't denigrate him too much... For background - points scores of 7 and above are seen as very good to excellent.

Anyway, picture 1 was seen as a lovely colorful (but not too overdone) landscape with good leading lines on the tree trunks towards the barn. However, it would have been better to leave some space between the left edge of the barn and the frame - the way the barn leaks off the edge of the picture causes the eye to leave as well. Points: 6

Picture 2 - the doorway. This was interesting with great textures between the wood, fading paint, brick, the path and the distant blurry trees. However, the left hand edge is a bit out of focus, and that detracts. Points: 5

Picture 3 - Barn interior. Very clear and sharp, nice use of aperture to get small stars on the bright sun coming in the cracks in the wall. Bit too light for his taste - would have preferred to see darker shadows in the corner and under the roof. Points: 6

Picture 4 - Red barn with white door. Great composition and shapes. The recurring rectangles, texture of the wood and paint, the positioning of the door are all well done. Roof edge is perhaps not required, but not a great problem. Points: 7

In retrospect, I should probably have focused the brick door more on the door and frame - crop out the window on the right. I agree also that the barn in the landscape should have been separated from the edge. I'm not sure the original had any space there, but I could have created it in Photoshop. That would have made the barn more complete and better positioned. The barn interior was an HDR shot, and is does show that even though our eyes can detect detail in very contrasty scenes, we probably expect more shadows in a photo of the same scene.

Just for fun, here is the original of that red barn that got the highest points. Just shows what a difference Photoshop can make to an image!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #175750 by Kiss a Frog
Very nice. Honestly I don't know which one is my favorite. they are all great. :judge:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024