Chicago By Night [View from Lake Michigan] by -=[ DukePro ]=- , on Flickr

Chicago Union Station

Generated by 3 RAWs
Gears: Canon 5DmkII + 16-35mm f/2.8L II

Chicago Union Station [HDR] by -=[ DukePro ]=- , on Flickr

Chicago Union Station 2 [HDR] by -=[ DukePro ]=- , on Flickr

Please visit www.DukePRO.net to more photos
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #192440 by Scotty
I love number 1. Number 2 and 3 the HDR process made the exposure all over the place. You have blotching going on.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukePro
12 years 3 months ago #192469 by mattmoran
I agree with Scotty that number 1 is awesome. Numbers 2 & 3 do seem over the top HDR. I'm no HDR expert, so I can't really criticize beyond that.

How did you do number one? It really looks like you were out on a boat. I just can't imagine that a 27mm lens on a full frame camera would capture that much of the skyline from the harbor break wall. And the info on flickr says a 78 second exposure. How did you keep the boat still while taking the shot?

No matter how you did it; nicely done!

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #192505 by DukePro

Scotty wrote: I love number 1. Number 2 and 3 the HDR process made the exposure all over the place. You have blotching going on.

I agree with Scotty that number 1 is awesome. Numbers 2 & 3 do seem over the top HDR. I'm no HDR expert, so I can't really criticize beyond that.

You guys are right. 2&3 are over a little bit. Check out another one and give me some comment please (sorry it's not Chicago)

Bitexco Financial Tower - Retouched [HDR] by -=[ DukePro ]=- , on Flickr

12 years 3 months ago #192508 by DukePro

mattmoran wrote: How did you do number one? It really looks like you were out on a boat. I just can't imagine that a 27mm lens on a full frame camera would capture that much of the skyline from the harbor break wall. And the info on flickr says a 78 second exposure. How did you keep the boat still while taking the shot?

I was stand beside Lake Michigan, not on a boat. Near the museum. :) If you been there before, you know the lake is very big. That's why I can capture that much of the skyline. :)

12 years 3 months ago #192534 by Scotty

DukePro wrote:

Scotty wrote: I love number 1. Number 2 and 3 the HDR process made the exposure all over the place. You have blotching going on.

You guys are right. 2&3 are over a little bit. Check out another one and give me some comment please (sorry it's not Chicago)

This one is actually worse. Same problems as before but this time you have strong haloing as well.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192581 by DukePro

Scotty wrote:

DukePro wrote:

This one is actually worse. Same problems as before but this time you have strong haloing as well.

Thanks for your comment. but it's a HDR Photo. I dont think is bad. This is my best HDR photo.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #192593 by Scotty

DukePro wrote:

Scotty wrote:

DukePro wrote:

Thanks for your comment. but it's a HDR Photo. I dont think is bad. This is my best HDR photo.

Don't take my very direct responses as me digging into you.

HDR can look great. HDR photos are not supposed to have haloing. The HDR process uses a blending method of pushing fill light aggressive either through faked exposure pushes on each side, or pulls it from multiple exposures. Look around the edges of the building...you will see a bright exposure/white around the rim of the whole building.

This makes it look cheesy and unpolished. Also the ghosting on the trees comes from when the multiple exposures are not lined up right. I'm 100 percent positive if you reworked this image it would come out even better than you could imagine. BTW your city shot of Chicago, the 1st image is one of the best city scape shots i've ever seen on this site, maybe on the web.

Keep at it.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #192596 by DukePro
@Scotty

Thanks so much. I really like your reply. It's very clear :agree: I will try to do something on it to make better.

12 years 3 months ago #192597 by Jeanne Merlo
#1 is beautiful #2 and #3 the cartoon-ish look works with me. Nice work IMHO

12 years 3 months ago #192609 by Scotty

DukePro wrote: @Scotty

Thanks so much. I really like your reply. It's very clear :agree: I will try to do something on it to make better.

No problem.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192628 by mattmoran

DukePro wrote: I was stand beside Lake Michigan, not on a boat. Near the museum. :) If you been there before, you know the lake is very big. That's why I can capture that much of the skyline. :)

I have been near that spot many times, but the city always looks closer B)

This makes me think that you must have put the camera low to the ground to emphasize the expanse of water.

That pictures inspires me to try to imitate it. Thank you.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #193082 by ankur_sen
Nice HDR..............love those pics...................

12 years 3 months ago #193099 by chasrich
Good thread. I'm learning a lot about HDR by reading this. I like the shots BTW. :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193238 by DukePro
Thanks guys!!!

One more HDR pic I just taken this morning.

The Quincy Museum [HDR] by -=[ DukePro ]=- , on Flickr

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024