Castlerigg Sunrise - without filter

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207209 by nedward50
Alex's California Sunset using blocking filters for long exposure has prompted this post. I think it a great shot.

I have been visiting this site for 40 years and as I am now trying to learn photography, thought I'd try a sunrise. There is no HDR treatment and no filter involved. ISO 100 at f22 for 1/10 second has given lens flare (white banding not the starburst) loads of grainy noise. The shortish exposure was because I metered close to the sun as it rose.
Needless to say the raw file was a black silhouette with an orange ball above it. So there was a lot of post production work that i'm not sure or happy about.

I cropped to a "pano" type but its not a true panorama. Any thoughts or observations that will help me improve?

Also posted is an after dawn and 3:2 aspect of the same as comparison for the pano crop.

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207210 by Karl Wertanen
First off, i'm no pro.... But it looks to me that for shooting into the sun, no filters, and dealing with the conditions given, they turned out pretty good. I think you made the right decision by not digging in too much deeper with the PS. I think there reaches a point when people use PS to push a picture farther than it really can go considering the conditions the photograph was shot under and it ends up just looking amateurish. It looks like you were able to recover and use as much of the exposure as possible without crossing that line. I don't really see much more that you could have done if you were not going to use filters while shooting and heavy surgery like HDR (which can also easily look amateurish if not controlled properly). I would say nice work. :cheers: :goodpost:

#1 does look a little underexposed though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nedward50
12 years 2 months ago #207221 by Baydream
Love the "feeling" and crop of #2. Into the sun is so tough.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207233 by nedward50
Karl,Baydream thanks for taking time to view and comment.

You are right about the overexposed feeling Karl here's a more contrasty version and also another photo of a different sunrise using a 8x ND Filter.

p.s. I'm no pro either, they sure earn their money!

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #207234 by Baydream
That last one is really nice. (I clicked the INSERT buttons for you).
The others could benefit from a Graduated ND filter - probably hard edge - or maybe a square dark ND held at the horizon.
Another good case for HDR. Worth taking the shot bracketed and downloading the trail version of Photomatrix or similar.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207247 by Karl Wertanen

Baydream wrote: That last one is really nice. (I clicked the INSERT buttons for you).
The others could benefit from a Graduated ND filter - probably hard edge - or maybe a square dark ND held at the horizon.
Another good case for HDR. Worth taking the shot bracketed and downloading the trail version of Photomatrix or similar.

Agree with the grad ND. That's how I would approach those scenes.
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207270 by photobod
Nice to see you posting and putting your work up for critique, I agree with Karl on all his comments, he is a superb landscape photographer and it would be good for you to take a look at his albums on here, you will learn a lot.
That last photo I love, would look good on anyones wall :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #207279 by Darrell
Very Cool.... :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #207412 by nedward50
Thank you and yes I have a grad filter however it only gives a stop or two difference, not sure why I bought it. HDR may be worth exploring, I understand the concept. I'd also like to fully understand and implement Adam's zone system. We know he also defended dodge and burn techniques as god hadn't got it quite right.
Man if I had that confidence lol!
12 years 2 months ago #207413 by nedward50
photobod.....visited Karls site and yes he has some fantastic images I'd love be able to capture, also thanks for your encouragement. I'll keep posting until you are all sick to death of me, and i'll try and contribute via comments to others etc.
12 years 2 months ago #207414 by nedward50
Darrell.....thank you, still lots of room for improvement. For instance we were moving off the lake sunrise site, suddenly against one of the surrounding rock faces there was a fantastic bust of red light that lasted for around 3-4 minutes and then the clouds rolled in.....if only I'd waited before packing the gear away?
12 years 2 months ago #207415 by nedward50
Karl, great work on your web site, if you feel a dark shadow entering your life:woohoo: don't worry, its just Ned looking over your shoulder, thanks for your input.
12 years 2 months ago #208265 by Fingers 3
I think you did an excellent job for no filter use and no hdr (which is really hard for some people). :judge:

12 years 2 months ago #208532 by nedward50
fingers3 , thank you.

In reality many cameras are outside their design zone if you don't use the appropriate intervention in the form of filters. They can't cope well with the differences in bright and dark above around 7 stops. I know this depends on model but as a general observation.

Our human sensors will cope beyond around 10 stops of difference as the brain is able to perceive and interpret. So what we see and the way that camera sensors work is different and we need to understand the tolerances and intervene.

I have seen some fantastic sunrise and sunset shots directly into the sun (non of them mine I hasten to add) and the correct filters are the key. Post processing dodging, burning etc. cannot render the same results in my opinion. An idiot like me will try though as it is my learning style. I'm the kid who poked his fingers into the fire despite parental advice lol.

Attached is another shot where i'm trying intervene using a tree to reduce the brightness of the sun......it still doesn't give the umph that the good shots we've all seen do.
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #208542 by stadimiri
hi
lovely pics TFS

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024