Bridge at Night

12 years 1 month ago #212816 by nedward50
In this one hoss town I call home we don't have an impressive city skyline or harbour view to practice this kind of shot.
This is Wainwright Bridge, sure hope they don't paint it yellow, unless Mc Donald's pay a handsome sum.
I was trying out a new prime lens and experimenting with white balance. This shot is one of many with a variety of outcomes

Thoughts, comments, and critiques are welcome so feel free.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: abdulla404
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #213004 by Baydream
Beautiful colors. :thumbsup:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: nedward50
12 years 1 month ago #213005 by slytoon
I like it. At first I thought maybe the background needs more light, but the more I look at it, I like how it trans from light to dark. :thumbsup:

12 years 1 month ago #213083 by nedward50
Thanks Bay and Sly, I can see what you mean about the background, there was a light fog bank rolling down the hills. The distant street lights would normally fill the frame higher than the top of the bridge.
Thank you both for viewing and commenting
12 years 1 month ago #213111 by photobod
Its an interesting photo, not sure if it is lacking in a focal point or if you have included too much foreground, I could live with out the road in it, but then thats only my mind wandering :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 1 month ago #213130 by nedward50
photobod, good point you raise. Cropped it is a more elegant shot without the road, you must continue to let your mind wander:agree:
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #213133 by Baydream
Sometimes photobod's mind wanders and forgets to come back :rofl:

Seriously. If you move to the right so that the road come in from the bottom left, then moves across the bridge, it might make more sense composition-wise. Lead that eye.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #213193 by KCook
Luv the foggy background, very atmospheric. But I'm less thrilled by the traffic signal. Izz there another angle that would not have any traffic signals?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #213318 by abdulla404
thats beautiful...

12 years 1 month ago #213321 by nedward50
Bay and KCook, some good ideas in your comments.
The crop and angle were determined by the prime lens and my position around 10 metres higher than the road, on a DIY car park. I did move round the site but shot from what I thought was the most advantageous position. I didn't consider the impact of the traffic lights! Although what crossed my mind (not a long journey granted) was that the 2 street lights that were out was lucky and less distracting (not that I own a catapult you understand!)
What sticks out to me from everyones excellent input is that I didn't follow my own mantra of "why are you taking this photograph". Here are the reasons I took it.
1. Insomnia
2. New budget prime Lens with good reviews
3. Interest in White Balance adjustments
The bridge is a memorial bridge so maybe I should have considered approaching the shot from a less distracting compositional approach....the bridge being all important as its a memorial. Something more "in your face"
As always thank you all who have taken time to view and comment. I appreciate it.
12 years 1 month ago #213322 by nedward50
thanks abdulla404.....it was good practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: abdulla404
12 years 1 month ago #213329 by KCook

What sticks out to me from everyones excellent input is that I didn't follow my own mantra of "why are you taking this photograph". Here are the reasons I took it.
1. Insomnia
2. New budget prime Lens with good reviews
3. Interest in White Balance adjustments

I was bemused by that. As my mantra would be more along the lines of "Why the devil can't you find a picture to take here"? I really need to pull my camera out of its bag more often.

too fussy :silly:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #213340 by nedward50
KCook, I understand, be assured I'm committed to the cause, its probably a poor way of describing how my mind is easily distracted and I'm sometimes spur of the moment in approach. The "why am I taking this photograph" is more about the experience than the end result, after all places can be revisited to make any desired changes.
This may explain better than I can.
www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/on_photography.shtml
Thanks for commenting its interesting to see how one is perceived.
12 years 1 month ago #213354 by icepics
I sometimes just stop and take a shot too; sometimes I think you just 'see' it, I've literally at times turned and the lightbulb goes on, a little 'a-ha' moment I guess. I wonder if over time you just know why you're taking the photo but maybe don't consciously think it thru, but later you'd be able to explain the 'why'.

Mickey D arches is not what first came to mind when I saw the photo, which I guess is a good thing! I like the blue color and the foggy quality. I actually kind of like the red streak along the road, but as others have mentioned, you might try to change the composition and see what else you get. (I too find the signs and traffic lights a bit distracting, but the lights off in the background are nice).

Sometimes I find that even if I can't move another step to change my vantage point much, I try leaning a bit to one side or the other, or even stand on tiptoes or scrunch down - sometimes just a subtle change in vantage point can make a difference.

Sharon

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #213417 by nedward50
Sharon, yes good advice, as with all the posters in this thread thanks for your comments.

In post analysis it is easy to "over egg" as there is more time to consider options and I cant recall any one of my 15000 images on disc that I'm happy with. This is not as bad as it sounds, there is always room for improvement methinks. Also its the whole experience that has me hooked, its not "winning" or "losing" its taking part, and if lucky I'll have a record of the experience.

Even though I have stated my "mantra" I seldom stick to it and as we know opportunities can be thrown up outside the best laid plans. Sometimes its good not to have a plan just a rough guide. For me sometimes it helps to "burn my fingers" against standard advice and practice.

It is important to me to ask myself though.....what the intention of any image is, and how will I use it. This question can form part of the overall planning or can be just before I press the shutter release. It depends when the eureka moment happens. Sometimes there is no eureka moment:toocrazy:

What I wonder would have been peoples responses, to a title "Street at Night" rather than Wainwright Bridge. Would it change peoples expectations? I'm sure it would. The feedback is a precious resource to me as I strive to improve. Many thanks to all.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024