the tide

12 years 5 days ago #222467 by afoto
hey everyone, i'm back for photo number 2!

as you will all soon come to realize, i am obsessed with long exposures.

this particular shot left me marooned on a rock, as the tide came in much faster then expected!! it also covered most of my foreground :( however in the end i think i was happy with the final effect.

c&c appreciated!

6 minute exposure with a 10 stop filter
0.9 and 0.6 GND filters

Attachments:
12 years 5 days ago #222499 by KCook
I'm not much of a fan of long exposures. But the tonal gradients in this are delicious. :judge:

BTW, checked your Profile page lately? I bet you will find a bunch of Friend requests.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 days ago #222559 by Scotty
I like the shot, but it looks like you got some camera shake during the shot. Looks a tad blurred.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 days ago #222590 by mclayton
Lovely photo. I hope you weren't stranded on the rock for too long of a time!

12 years 4 days ago #222815 by afoto
thanks for the replies,

scotty, i think the blur may just be downsizing of the file.. looks sharp on my monitor. hahahah but camera shake is definitely something i need to be aware of!

mclayton, thanksfully i had a couple friends along and we were able to create a supply line from slippery rock to slippery rock to get the camera and tripod back to shore :D

12 years 4 days ago #222835 by john_m
Stunning shot! I have always wanted to try some long exposures! Very well done!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 days ago #222847 by Scotty

afoto wrote: thanks for the replies,

scotty, i think the blur may just be downsizing of the file.. looks sharp on my monitor. hahahah but camera shake is definitely something i need to be aware of!

mclayton, thanksfully i had a couple friends along and we were able to create a supply line from slippery rock to slippery rock to get the camera and tripod back to shore :D

Maybe. Using the Big Stopper is quite tricky. I'll have to do more shots with mine this year.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222851 by icepics
This is a beautiful shot. The rock farthest away looks the most sharp to me, if that's where the camera was focused maybe that's why the foreground doesn't look quite as sharp.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222855 by afoto

Scotty wrote:
Maybe. Using the Big Stopper is quite tricky. I'll have to do more shots with mine this year.

ahhh scotty you have a big stopper?! so jealous.... it takes over 8 months to order one from lee, if you ever want to get rid of yours let me know :D i'm currently using a screw on B&W stop, which makes recomposing my shot a lot of unnecessary work.

also, possibly why the foreground looks soft is a cause of the water actually moving over the rocks? with the long exposure the water was moving on and off the rocks giving it (i felt) a misty feeling, but perhaps it just looks blurry?

12 years 4 days ago #222870 by icepics
That could be... it doesn't look like a huge difference, the larger one to the left looks a bit less sharp than the one back further, like maybe that's where the camera was focused. Although sometimes photos look different if people resize them or post lower res for the message board I think.

I haven't done long exposures, this one is lovely with all the blue tones.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222923 by San84
Great capture....loved the blue in the shot!!

Men invented language to satisfy their deep urge of complaining...
12 years 4 days ago #222925 by Scotty

afoto wrote:

Scotty wrote:

ahhh scotty you have a big stopper?! so jealous.... it takes over 8 months to order one from lee, if you ever want to get rid of yours let me know :D i'm currently using a screw on B&W stop, which makes recomposing my shot a lot of unnecessary work.

also, possibly why the foreground looks soft is a cause of the water actually moving over the rocks? with the long exposure the water was moving on and off the rocks giving it (i felt) a misty feeling, but perhaps it just looks blurry?

Alex (admin of the site) and I both have them. I received mine around 2 months after ordering it.

www.2filters.com . Call them up/email them and ask for Andrea and she'll get it to you fast.

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024