Which do you like best?

11 years 9 months ago #238660 by Alex
Last night I had the chance to mess around with another one of my pier photos from this weekend.

Which works best for you?

This was edited with Lightroom and Photoshop:

This photo was edited with Nik Software Silver Efex Pro 2. I used the Neutral Preset, manually adjusted settings on right including "Fuji Neopan ACROS" film effect, white frame 2 vignetting which I thought looked kind of cool. Then there was selenium toning applied. If you have not tried this software you should try their free trial HERE .

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 9 months ago #238665 by Frost Photography
Tough call, but #2 has a very old look to it. I like :thumbsup:

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238702 by rmeyer7
Hard to pick one over the other, but I'm a fan of deep, rich color so I like #1 just slightly more. The position of the shadow is kind of weird for me though.

11 years 9 months ago #238712 by No Show
Boy, I could honestly flip a coin on this. Both get my attention completely differently.

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238733 by Darrell
I go for #1 and #2 a close 2nd

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 9 months ago #238747 by The Man
I really like the contrast in both, but will have to say #2

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238752 by Scotty
I like them both. I'd rather hang number 2 up though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238763 by Shadowfixer1
Even though I am a huge B/W fan, I have to go with No. 1 on this. I would probably change my mind if there were some adjustments to No. 2. I think it is too bright. It needs some deeper blacks to look more menacing. Both are good, i just think 2 could be improved.
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #238776 by icepics
The second one looks too grayscale and almost washed out to me (and I don't know why the software describes this as a film effect, I've done film and darkroom work and I don't think it has this type look to it). I like the color photo better although the sky looks dark compared to the shadows. edit - Now that I look again, the tones especially of the sky are very different in each photo. Nice sharp quality to the bridge.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238777 by Barb
I prefer the first one. I love how blue the water is and the way the sky looks. I also love the sand. The first one all over works best for me!

11 years 9 months ago #238801 by John Landolfi
The colors in 1 are too contrasting to my eye, and thecolor in the shadow area appears too contrived. With more editing, I'd pick it. 2 seems better now, but I think htey could both be great with more work.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #238804 by Scotty

icepics wrote: The second one looks too grayscale and almost washed out to me (and I don't know why the software describes this as a film effect, I've done film and darkroom work and I don't think it has this type look to it). I like the color photo better although the sky looks dark compared to the shadows. edit - Now that I look again, the tones especially of the sky are very different in each photo. Nice sharp quality to the bridge.

Looks black and white to me? I can see the black point and white point.

Screen calibrated?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238806 by pinoldy
I like both. I really like the depth of color in the first.

In the second, the eye is drawn to the opening at the end of the pier, but there is still an awareness of the water in the foreground...it almost seems to have motion. Nice effect.

11 years 9 months ago #238811 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: The second one looks too grayscale and almost washed out to me (and I don't know why the software describes this as a film effect, I've done film and darkroom work and I don't think it has this type look to it). I like the color photo better although the sky looks dark compared to the shadows. edit - Now that I look again, the tones especially of the sky are very different in each photo. Nice sharp quality to the bridge.

I think your monitor needs calibrating.
11 years 9 months ago #238830 by bluesydude
My vote is for the color shot! I think if this were shot on an overcast day without the strong shadow to the pier the B&W would look very nice! Great composition of the shot!

Focused on photography
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024