new tripod ruining my groove

11 years 6 months ago #257071 by afoto
for the last 6 months i've been shooting on a tripod thats rusting and taped together so the leg doesn't fall off. i finally decided it was time to get a new one.
unfortunately, i guess it takes time to get to know new equipment. almost all my shots were blurred from the camera sliding around... a weird problem.

but that being said, it doesn't give me much excuse for the kind of weird composition of this image.
c&c welcome, i'm not loving the rocks ending in the middle and blocking the city, but i do love the overall colours in the image. thoughts?

cit by abbye dahl , on Flickr

11 years 6 months ago #257073 by Rob pix4u2
Love the softness of the water and the rocks look cool even if they block the city.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 6 months ago #257102 by icepics
Maybe it's the angle/vantage point, the rocks do seem to overpower the skyline. Still, not a bad photo by any means, your photos are good enough that even your worst would probably still be a pretty good photo. Seems like you're experimenting and challenging yourself to try something different once in awhile.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #257105 by Scotty
What tripod setup are you using?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #257121 by afoto

Scotty wrote: What tripod setup are you using?

manfrotto midi ball head on one of their smaller aluminum bodies.

i just did a bit of experimenting and thing maybe the ball head was slipping under the weight of the camera?
or possibly the plate that screws into my camera was not as tight as could be?

the biggest problem was while shooting vertical, the camera was slowing slipping down.

also, thank you icepics

11 years 6 months ago #257123 by Scotty

afoto wrote:

Scotty wrote: What tripod setup are you using?

manfrotto midi ball head on one of their smaller aluminum bodies.

i just did a bit of experimenting and thing maybe the ball head was slipping under the weight of the camera?
or possibly the plate that screws into my camera was not as tight as could be?

the biggest problem was while shooting vertical, the camera was slowing slipping down.

also, thank you icepics

ball head creep. Buy a better/more high end ball head. What camera are you using?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #257131 by afoto
ball head creep. Buy a better/more high end ball head. What camera are you using?[/quote]

nikon d700 with a 16-35mm and multiple lee filters. its a pretty heavy setup to be shooting vertical with i guess

11 years 6 months ago #257201 by effron
Scotty is correct, don't go cheap on a tripod/head. Also, get an "L" bracket and Acra-Swiss type mounting for that set up. You can then leave the Ball head in vertical position, won't be fighting the sag all the time. You'll wonder how you ever did landscape without it..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #257288 by studiotoffa
On the image: May be see if you could raise your vantage point so the rocks fall lower than the skyline of the city. The colours work great as do the blur.

On the tripod: Do you need the ballhead? If not, try a three way head. I've tried a ballhead (and own one), but I found that the ball didn't hold the camera that good in vertical direction, so I switched back to my 3-way head. The 3-way I use is the Giottos MH-5001. It got a sturdy feel and it holds the camera better in vertical position then the ball head I used. The ballhead I used was a Redged RNB-1 that hold a gear-weight up to 6 kg, the same as the 3-way head, but the 3-way head holds the weight better.

My setup is mostly this:
Nikon D800 with MB-D12
Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8
Giottos MH-5001 3 way head
Redged RTA-428 tripod
when it comes to filters I use a modular system by Formatt Hitech with the same brand filters in the 85 Series which is the same size as Cokin P.

So my advise for you is to try out some gear and see what fits you. If you don't do much macro/close-up, and don't mind the little extra weight, go for a 3-way head that hold at least 6 kg of weight. There's also geared heads to choose that hold the gear even better, but at the cost of more weight to the tripod. And use your time to pick a good set of legs. Remember, a tripod is for life, not for christmas.

I've also got a blogpost at my blog about my thoughts and experience searching for my tripod, check it out if you will. You will find my blog at Studio Toffa Photography and the blogpost is titled: The Tripod Search, it easiest to find under the topic Gear. Sorry I couldn't just give you the link, but the URL just get all weird and useless when I try to write it.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

11 years 6 months ago #257710 by bluesydude
Love the shot. Tough shot to compose.

Focused on photography
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024