The Awakening

3 years 9 months ago #491757 by JeremyS
This was shot at my resort in Jamaica over the March Break, it was ~5am and we were just about to leave. 

this image was shot with a Nikon D800, on a 14-24mm f2.8 lens at 14mm I believe with ~ f8 aperture. 

Let me know what you think! Constructive Criticism is allowed :)  My usual adage is that I can't get better without knowing what I've done wrong. 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #491936 by cabbot
I don't have any criticism whatsoever. This is one awesome photo!

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #491945 by Shadowfixer1
I like the image but I'm not crazy about the purple sky. It adds interest for sure, but looks too unnatural for me.

3 years 9 months ago #491962 by KCook
So I will overlook the purple as some sort of style statement.  But I would try adding a bit of vignetting.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 9 months ago #492077 by Tammy B
Excellent shot - I especially like that this landscape differs from the typical Jamaican beach scene. The main criticism that I have is that this image seems just a little too dark. However, that's a pretty simple fix in post!

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #492492 by srubio77
I think I have to disagree with Kenny on this one. While this os a fantastic shot. I'd love to see it with more of a "natural" edit. The current vignette is a bit much for me personally.

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #492566 by JeremyS
I enjoy all of the criticism, and I appreciate it however it should be noted that there is no vignetting being done, as well as the purple was natural at 5am.

Some further information with regards to the editing and post-processing, it was a 4-5 shot stitch of varying exposures (similar to HDR) and manually blended. One shot was of the beach, another of the tree, sunset, and then beach background. 

3 years 9 months ago #492569 by Randy Shaw
I'm going to go against the grain here, I love this shot.  The color and how the finished processing takes your eye.  Just my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #492660 by phaller
This makes me want to visit Jamaica! What a beautiful shot!

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #492841 by Allen Carrel
This is such a beautiful shot

Photo Comments

3 years 9 months ago #493034 by SuzyM
Such a fantastic shot! I really love the purple tones. It makes me think of a stormy morning that's a little ominous, but still really beautiful.

3 years 9 months ago #493648 by Ben Vanderbilt
Incredible!  

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020