The Awakening

3 years 8 months ago #491757 by JeremyS
This was shot at my resort in Jamaica over the March Break, it was ~5am and we were just about to leave. 

this image was shot with a Nikon D800, on a 14-24mm f2.8 lens at 14mm I believe with ~ f8 aperture. 

Let me know what you think! Constructive Criticism is allowed :)  My usual adage is that I can't get better without knowing what I've done wrong. 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #491936 by cabbot
I don't have any criticism whatsoever. This is one awesome photo!

Photo Comments

3 years 8 months ago #491945 by Shadowfixer1
I like the image but I'm not crazy about the purple sky. It adds interest for sure, but looks too unnatural for me.

3 years 8 months ago #491962 by KCook
So I will overlook the purple as some sort of style statement.  But I would try adding a bit of vignetting.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 8 months ago #492077 by Tammy B
Excellent shot - I especially like that this landscape differs from the typical Jamaican beach scene. The main criticism that I have is that this image seems just a little too dark. However, that's a pretty simple fix in post!

Photo Comments

3 years 8 months ago #492492 by srubio77
I think I have to disagree with Kenny on this one. While this os a fantastic shot. I'd love to see it with more of a "natural" edit. The current vignette is a bit much for me personally.

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #492566 by JeremyS
I enjoy all of the criticism, and I appreciate it however it should be noted that there is no vignetting being done, as well as the purple was natural at 5am.

Some further information with regards to the editing and post-processing, it was a 4-5 shot stitch of varying exposures (similar to HDR) and manually blended. One shot was of the beach, another of the tree, sunset, and then beach background. 

3 years 7 months ago #492569 by Randy Shaw
I'm going to go against the grain here, I love this shot.  The color and how the finished processing takes your eye.  Just my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #492660 by phaller
This makes me want to visit Jamaica! What a beautiful shot!

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #492841 by Allen Carrel
This is such a beautiful shot

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #493034 by SuzyM
Such a fantastic shot! I really love the purple tones. It makes me think of a stormy morning that's a little ominous, but still really beautiful.

3 years 7 months ago #493648 by Ben Vanderbilt
Incredible!  

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Latest Articles

Is Canvas On Demand a good option for getting a canvas print? In this Canvas On Demand review, find out if their products meet their sales pitch of "premium products" or if the canvas falls short.

Apr 09, 2020

Photography bags and camera bags should not only be comfortable to carry, but functional, durable, and help you organize your gear too. These bags do the trick!

Apr 08, 2020

This Max Art Pro canvas print review offers insights into the quality of Max Art Pro canvases, as well as a few things about Max Art Pro, like their products, promo codes, return policy, and more.

Apr 08, 2020

Dragging big, heavy, and complicated lighting gear around simply isn't necessary. With these portable lighting tips, you can get the light you need without the frustration and expenditure of money!

Apr 07, 2020

In this Nations Photo Lab metal print review, learn about the quality of my metal print, as well as details about Nations Photo Lab, Nations Photo Lab products, and much more!

Apr 07, 2020

With these tips for photographing real estate, you'll learn how to prep a home for photos in the springtime for maximum visual appeal.

Apr 07, 2020

Shutterfly is a household name for photographic prints. In this Shutterfly metal print review, find out if this popular Shutterfly product is a must or if you should skip it.

Apr 06, 2020

The mirrorless vs. DSLR debate has raged for years. So which one is best for 2020? Find out in this camera gear comparison guide.

Apr 06, 2020