Sunset at Zabriskie Point Death Valley National Park

4 years 9 months ago #652128 by Alex
A photo I took this past weekend during sunset at Zabriskie Point.  Crazy hot there, however where Death Valley lacks in comfortable temperatures, it makes up in ambient beauty that surrounds you.  

I drove 5 hours, which turned into 8 because of a horrible accident I got caught behind.  When I arrived at Death Valley I had only less than an hour to recon and find some cool vantage points.  This shot was the one I was most happy with considering time restrictions.  I stayed up till 1:45am trying to find a good shot, woke up early after only able to sleep for 1.5 hours, to get the sunrise (I'll share that photo shortly), then drove 5.5 hours back home to take my son swimming.  Long day, I was exhausted!

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/13.0
Shutter speed: 0.6 sec
Captured: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 8:20am

ISO: 64
Shutter speed: 1.3 sec
Captured: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 8:23am

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #652129 by garyrhook
I would prefer to see the top one cropped to the upper square portion; the foreground doesn't hold that much interest for me, and the hills and sky are really the subject. I like the second one as is.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652143 by Alex
Hey Gary,

Good point.  

What do you think?

ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 0.6 sec
Captured: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 8:20am

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #652156 by Shadowfixer1
Not Gary, but much better. Excellent image.
4 years 9 months ago #652176 by Breanna Ellington
Cropped version is much better. Nice set Alex! 

4 years 9 months ago #652200 by Camera Diva
#2 is my favorite as well.  That landscape is so stunning, love those browns.  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652204 by garyrhook
For me, I think this is an improvement. I'd still make it perfectly square, but that's a nit.

I would encourage some dodging on those golden hills.

Nicely seen.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652615 by Scott Klubeck
Hey Alex, have you been to the dunes up there?  

Nice set of photos.  #2 for me. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653162 by Sara Miles
Good set! I like the cropped version. Nice view! 

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024