Marooned

3 years 6 months ago #697782 by db3348

Happened to stumble upon this wretched, abandoned yacht on a beach , fully exposed to the wrath of ocean currents .  With the dawn lighting it looked so appealing .

Canon EOS R w / 24 mm lens .

db3348

Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 6 months ago #697813 by Joshua Atkins
Looks like a photo in a travel postcard! Beautiful!

3 years 6 months ago #697870 by db3348
Thank you very much , Joshua .

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697877 by Nikon Shooter
Very nice image db, greetings down under! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697902 by db3348
Thank you , Nikon Shooter .

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697920 by Khelm
Beautiful.  interesting the split of the lighting near the mid of the frame.

3 years 6 months ago #697922 by Nikon Shooter

Khelm wrote: interesting the split of the lighting near the mid of the frame.

Isn't it!

That may be on the negative side of using a CP or
an intentional PP tweak that brings up some over
saturation and luminance shift.

Here, it may go under the tab "artistic Intent" and
is a very personal thing,

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697933 by Khelm

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Khelm wrote: interesting the split of the lighting near the mid of the frame.

Isn't it!

That may be on the negative side of using a CP or
an intentional PP tweak that brings up some over
saturation and luminance shift.

Here, it may go under the tab "artistic Intent" and
is a very personal thing,

I was thinking possibly PP but didn't want to be direct as I wasn't sure if it would be "polite" to mention it.

3 years 6 months ago #697935 by Nikon Shooter
Politeness, in my book, is defined by honesty and good faith.
I would never purposely antagonise anyone, anytime… it's not
my way — when I'm on the ice with all the gear and the puck,
it is another thing all together. :P

However, the forum puts "for display or critique"… very diffe-
rent things and it is weird, IMO, to see them together. There
are members I would not criticise but "db" is a capable very
shooter and I am sure that, may I be right or wrong, he un-
derstands my comment and mature enough to discuss it with
the typical down under "cool-dudeness".

My problem is not politeness but the mastery of the language.
There are so many ways to say something and sometime I do
not use the best one. Again, a matter of honesty & good faith.

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698019 by db3348
As Nikon Shooter surmised ,  what I think you are referring to as the "split of lighting" is mainly from the CP filter (while only a mild effect) on a wide-angle lens ,  exaggerated by the banding compression of colour bits for saving in .jpg format .  In the full 16-bit .psd version for printing , the "split" (while noticeable) is more subtle in that area ,  but unfortunately this forum does not accept .psd format images .
But I appreciate all comments .

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698031 by Nikon Shooter

db3348 wrote: … but unfortunately this forum does not accept .psd format images .

What do you think a .psd could illustrate, bring to the table, db?

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698054 by Khelm

Nikon Shooter wrote: Politeness, in my book, is defined by honesty and good faith.

I agree.  I appreciate critiques myself.  I just am learning as I go with photographer etiquette.

3 years 6 months ago #698055 by Khelm

db3348 wrote: As Nikon Shooter surmised ,  what I think you are referring to as the "split of lighting" is mainly from the CP filter (while only a mild effect) on a wide-angle lens ,  exaggerated by the banding compression of colour bits for saving in .jpg format .  In the full 16-bit .psd version for printing , the "split" (while noticeable) is more subtle in that area ,  but unfortunately this forum does not accept .psd format images .
But I appreciate all comments .

db getting into all the techie stuff is going even further over my head :ohmy:  But I have learned a bit about CP, wide angle lenses, and skies from this discussion.

3 years 6 months ago #698057 by Nikon Shooter

db3348 wrote: from the CP filter (while only a mild effect) on a wide-angle lens ,  .

Since angulation is playing a very big role in polarising, one
should avoid using a CPL with lenses shorter than 35 mm as
it is too easy with them to go over the 90°

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698160 by Shadowfixer1
The color gradient in the sky isn't as drastic if you correct the white balance. The cool tones are overdone but that can be an artistic choice. If you correct the white balance to the white part of the top of the boat's cabin, it looks like a totally different image. Nice find.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024