Filters. Which one?

10 years 1 week ago #143668 by Hip Hop3
I'm trying to decide what next to purchase, a circular polarizer or graduated neutral density. I shoot outdoor scenery/landscapes/nature most often. I know that filters can cost quite a bit for quality ones so I'm only looking to buy one right now. I will definitely own both in the future. I like the ND because I hate blowing the sky out in my landscapes. I also love clouds that pop out. I'm not EXACTLY sure if the polarizer is much different. I know what it does and how it works but it looks like it functions the same: it brings out the sky and increases contrast between the clouds and sky. It also reduces glare if I'm shooting the ocean. Help me decide or even throw me a different suggestion. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 week ago #143671 by KCook
I find the graduated filers a bit tricky. So I prefer to play that game in PP. Don't rule out a linear polarizer. As long as you are not shooting extra wide angle, they can help too.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 1 week ago #143674 by ChrisPenn
I vote polarizer, I never owned a graduated neutral density filter. I did find a ND filter in my old camera bag and don't remember using it, must have bought it for a special shot or something. Of course never really using one I really don't know how valuable it might be.

10 years 1 week ago #143675 by Olivia 12
A polarizer is a better general purpose filter, IMO. It'll give you the affect of a 2x neutral density filter, as well as cut glare, increase contrast of the sky and clouds (in some situations), etc. The only real limitation with a polarizer is that they're not of much use at really wide angles. Since a polarizer depends on the angle of the light source (in most cases, the sun) to the lens, a really wide angle sky shot can come out uneven with a polarizer.

10 years 1 week ago #143676 by Hip Hop3
Looks like polarizer is the winner. Alrighty then. Thanks everyone.

10 years 5 days ago #144762 by Addicted2Photos

Hip Hop3 wrote: Looks like polarizer is the winner. Alrighty then. Thanks everyone.

Good choice :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

10 years 5 days ago #144808 by Baydream

Addicted2Photos wrote:

Hip Hop3 wrote: Looks like polarizer is the winner. Alrighty then. Thanks everyone.

Good choice :thumbsup:

:agree: I have both and use the P at least 5-to-1 over the GND.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 years 5 days ago #144816 by chasrich
:agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

Latest Articles

You might have heard of documentary photography before, but do you really know what it is? Find out in this guide on documentary photography.

Sep 24, 2021

Buying used photography gear can be a little gut-wrenching. In this guide, learn what to look for in a used lens so you're sure you get a quality addition to your camera bag.

Sep 23, 2021

When buying a metal print, there are tons of options to think about. In this metal print buyer's guide, learn what to look for in a metal print.

Sep 22, 2021

Use these commercial real estate photography tips to create compelling images that accurately and artfully portray commercial spaces.

Sep 22, 2021

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

What kind of monitor should you have for video work? There's a great debate between on-camera vs field monitors - let's see which is best for you.

Sep 21, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021