How often are you using your Fish eye lens?

13 years 4 months ago #34116 by Silver Fox
Those with a fish eye lens, how often are you using the lens? Did you feel it was worth the $$ you paid for it?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #34292 by Karl Wertanen
I'm debating weather or not to get one... I love the wide field of view but hate distorted lines... Even my 18mm (35mm format) pisses me off sometimes but those wides can create some pretty creative shots.
Do you have a fish eye Silver Fox?
13 years 4 months ago #34297 by crystal
I wanted one for years, just can't afford it. Maybe I'll rent a fish eye.
13 years 4 months ago #34780 by Joves
Well I have the Nikon 10.5 and I love it and use it quite often myself so the dollar value is good. Being in N.Az and shooting a fair amount of landscapes it is about as wide as I need. It also works great for special shots such as this one.

Here is a landscape. Desert View at the Grand Canyon.

Then some near to far shots.

13 years 4 months ago #34787 by Photo Mojo
I really like that last photo Joves :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
13 years 4 months ago #35312 by Yasko

Crystal wrote: I wanted one for years, just can't afford it. Maybe I'll rent a fish eye.

Try looking up "Rokinon" and "Peleng" fisheyes. Their fisheyes are very good optically, and don't have autofocus so they're very inexpensive (120 to 300 dollar range). And who needs autofocus for a fisheye anyway?

13 years 4 months ago #35314 by Yasko
Joves, those are some outstanding fisheye shots. :thumbsup:

13 years 4 months ago #35327 by chasrich
Joves, you posted some real beauties there...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 4 months ago #36190 by crystal

Yasko wrote: Joves, those are some outstanding fisheye shots. :thumbsup:

:agree: :judge:
13 years 4 months ago #36292 by Baydream
Joves,
:judge:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #36308 by FMVPhotography
I'm a wide junkie so get to borrow the 10.5mm Nikkor from college - LOVE IT! Want one big time. Used it yesterday for my graded unit college project on the homeless....

I always thought being a beggar must be like living in a fish bowl...

Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #36310 by FMVPhotography
apologies for the quality - I assure you the original doesn't look like that!

13 years 4 months ago #36378 by Joves

FMVPhotography wrote: apologies for the quality - I assure you the original doesn't look like that!

Well when they get resized there is always quality loss. So what you were being the homeless, it appears so from that view point.

13 years 4 months ago #36380 by Yasko
lol you even got the passerbys' expressions correct. Did you actually dress up and play the part? :P Great shot.

Here it is with a quick distortion correction using the 10.5mm nikon fisheye lens profile in adobe RAW. I think I like the fisheye effect more though....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #36560 by FMVPhotography
yep, I took a sleeping bag with me set up the tripod and took pictures from their point of view - within minutes I was offered change and a cigarette - honestly!

Yeah Yasko I deliberately wanted the curve effect - image is called 'fish-bowl'

P.S. how do you post the pic in the post rather than an attachment?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024