zoom vs prime

13 years 1 week ago #48996 by T Wolf
What are the pros/cons to having a prime and what are the pros/cons to having a zoom lens?

I only have a 18-55 kit lens, although it's a zoom, I don't feel I am getting my worth out of it, to understand the pros for having a zoom lens.

13 years 1 week ago #49001 by IIIM
Pro to zoom lens- Less walking to take the shot and get more shots without taking too much time fumbling with lens changing

Pro to prime lens-will usually produce better quality bokeh and can take more shots in lower light situations

13 years 1 week ago #49011 by Baydream
It ALL depends on what you want to capture with your photography. Decide THAT before you decide what your next lens is.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago #49029 by McBeth Photography
I would say that a person would want to have both. When I don't need the zoom lens I'm reaching for a prime lens rather quickly.

I see on your profile that you have a D50, thats good, it enables you to try a few used lenses here and there which will give you a feeling for the focal lengths that you want before you lay down your money on the latest versions of lenses.

One recommendation that I would make is to pick up a AF Nikkor 50mm f1.8D, on your D50 it is a good focal length for group shots and portraits and it is very light making it a good walk around lens. The best part is you can get a brand new one for about $130 US. I believe that every Nikon amateaur should have one in their bag. Also makes a great low-light lens.

Both zooms and primes have their place, so I will agree with Baydream ...."It ALL depends on what you want to capture with your photography. Decide THAT before you decide what your next lens is. "

It is what it is.
13 years 1 week ago #49440 by Stealthy Ninja
Zooms = versatile
Primes = faster (usually)

Sharpness = depends. Some zooms are sharper than primes.
13 years 1 week ago #49786 by Solstar
You've gotten good answers! I might add that my first prime helped me improve my photography a lot. No zoom meant I had to think about my composition a lot more, move my feet and change how I composed. The razor thin (potentially) depth of field allowed my to compose in new ways by controlling what was in focus as well as what was in frame. I use my primes tons, especially since I prefer to avoid a flash as much as possible.

13 years 6 days ago - 13 years 6 days ago #50949 by Henry Peach
Prime lenses are often faster (larger max aperture), smaller, and cheaper. When you need the extra exposure or want really shallow DOF then you've got to have large aperture options. As someone who carries cameras all day there is a lot to be said about small and light too!

Zoom lenses offer focal length flexibility. You may hear people claim that zooms make photographers lazy, but I wouldn't blame the gear. Lazy folks aren't going to explore the scene no matter what lens they are using. Passionate folks will. Perspective is controlled by the camera's location relative to the scene/subject. Focal length controls magnification and in-camera cropping. With a prime lens I may be forced to crop out of camera to get the perspective and crop I want. With a range of focal lengths I can usually crop in-camera with the perspective I want. With today's large megapixel counts there's usually nothing wrong with cropping out of camera, but it's still nice to take advantage of as much of the sensor as possible.

In comparisons between my prime lenses (all Canon) and my f/2.8 zooms (Canon, Sigma, and Tamron) I cannot see a significant difference in sharpness. I've even compared them with the zooms at max aperture, and the primes stopped down several stops (f/2.8 zooms compared to f/1.4 primes at f/2.8 ) which common wisdom says I should be able to see the difference in sharpness. I can't, and neither can the photographers who I've shown the samples to. I've also considered bokeh, and asked other photographers to give me their opinion on my comparison examples. The prime lens bokeh is not always the winner. Zoom lenses have become amazingly good in the last decade.
13 years 6 days ago #51032 by Frank The Tank

Henry Peach wrote: Prime lenses are often faster (larger max aperture), smaller, and cheaper. When you need the extra exposure or want really shallow DOF then you've got to have large aperture options. As someone who carries cameras all day there is a lot to be said about small and light too!

Zoom lenses offer focal length flexibility. You may hear people claim that zooms make photographers lazy, but I wouldn't blame the gear. Lazy folks aren't going to explore the scene no matter what lens they are using. Passionate folks will. Perspective is controlled by the camera's location relative to the scene/subject. Focal length controls magnification and in-camera cropping. With a prime lens I may be forced to crop out of camera to get the perspective and crop I want. With a range of focal lengths I can usually crop in-camera with the perspective I want. With today's large megapixel counts there's usually nothing wrong with cropping out of camera, but it's still nice to take advantage of as much of the sensor as possible.

In comparisons between my prime lenses (all Canon) and my f/2.8 zooms (Canon, Sigma, and Tamron) I cannot see a significant difference in sharpness. I've even compared them with the zooms at max aperture, and the primes stopped down several stops (f/2.8 zooms compared to f/1.4 primes at f/2.8 ) which common wisdom says I should be able to see the difference in sharpness. I can't, and neither can the photographers who I've shown the samples to. I've also considered bokeh, and asked other photographers to give me their opinion on my comparison examples. The prime lens bokeh is not always the winner. Zoom lenses have become amazingly good in the last decade.

Excellent post, I couldn't have said it better!

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henry Peach

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024