Nifty-Fifty Durability?

12 years 9 months ago #49925 by Duco00
I have the 50mm and love it, before I bought it I was reading some reviews on the nifty fifty. On Amazon I was reading a review on this lens and a guy was saying how, after a few months this lens was completly distroyed and was literally in pieces.

Now I only have mine for a few weeks, so I'm not having any breaking issues. So I was just wondering if anyone else was having the problem or, even close to having this problem.

12 years 9 months ago #49930 by Baydream
Some people could break a stainless steel ingot.
A lens is NOT a baseball.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #49932 by crystal

Baydream wrote: Some people could break a stainless steel ingot.

:rofl:
12 years 9 months ago #49934 by crystal
I have not had any problems with my 50mm, and i've had it for 5yrs.
12 years 9 months ago #49938 by Black Forest
I think that persons experience is more the exception - granted it is plastic and not as hard wearing as most of the other lenses on offer, but its durable enough to survive normal use without problems. Just don't go rock climbing with it.

12 years 9 months ago #49939 by Duco00

Baydream wrote: Some people could break a stainless steel ingot.

That is true.

12 years 9 months ago #49941 by Duco00

Black Forest wrote: I think that persons experience is more the exception - granted it is plastic and not as hard wearing as most of the other lenses on offer, but its durable enough to survive normal use without problems. Just don't go rock climbing with it.

No plans on rock climbing.

12 years 9 months ago #49942 by GAR 56
I dropped mine once while changing lens.
Luckily, I was standing on a grass field, so nothing happened to it, not even a single scratch.

I think even it is all plastic, it doesn't mean it will break any time soon.

12 years 9 months ago #49973 by photobod
:rofl: I think the guy must have had a toy camera with a plastic 50mm lens and a wall has fallen on it :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #50026 by nflynn

photobod wrote: :rofl: I think the guy must have had a toy camera with a plastic 50mm lens and a wall has fallen on it :rofl:

:rofl:
12 years 9 months ago #50052 by McBeth Photography
Had one for two years, it was my first lens....it has survived being owned by an ignorant newbie very well. It also has endured all the rookie mistakes like being cleaned with the shirt tail and other various trials that I've put it through.....couldn't be happier with the AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and its durability.

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #50944 by Henry Peach
I dropped my Canon 50mm f/1.8 from chest height on to a granite floor. It bounced 4' in the air, and I caught it. That shook up the dust inside, and there is a tiny nick on the plastic housing, but it still works fine. I used it for about 6 years before passing it on to my brother who is still using it today.
12 years 9 months ago #51988 by Joves
Well the Nikon Nifty is very well built and has a metal mount in the D version. Im not sure about the new DX version or the G. I dropped my Nifty several times with no ill effects, fact is I gave it to my cousin when I got my 50 1.2 at a Pawn Shop for cheap. And he is still abusing it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

The Ricoh GR IIIx is a premium compact camera with capable photo and video specs and a size that makes it easy to carry. Is it the right option for you? Let’s find out!

Jan 24, 2024

The Sony a6700 is a compact, lightweight photographic powerhouse that offers top-shelf features and amenities at a good price. There’s more to the story, though; check it out in this review!

Jan 23, 2024

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro is an affordable cinema camera with a 21.2MP Super35 CMOS sensor and a host of features that make videography a simpler task.

Dec 26, 2023

Latest Articles

Minimalism photography is much more than composing a simple shot. You need to understand rules of composition, have the necessary gear, and practice a lot, too!

Feb 20, 2024

A photography exhibition requires a lot of planning, including making decisions about the images you use, their sizes, and how to display them. Get guidance on these and other decisions in this guide!

Feb 19, 2024

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

There are more than a few ways to increase your photography business income. But in my experience, one of the best is to use high-quality platforms and partnerships to further your business.

Feb 15, 2024

In a Canon R3 vs R5 comparison, which one comes out on top? Well, that’s complicated, because each camera has distinct strengths. Let’s see which one is better suited for which tasks!

Feb 15, 2024

Need some photo book ideas for yourself or a client? We’ve got you covered! Check out a few fun ideas and get some answers to photo book FAQs as well!

Feb 12, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing. Sustaining it for the long term and remaining relevant over many years is another. Learn how to stay relevant in this guide!

Feb 12, 2024

What types of gear do you need in a beginner photography kit? A camera and lens are obvious choices, but what is essential beyond that? Let’s find out in this guide!

Feb 09, 2024