What filters are a must have?

12 years 11 months ago #57755 by Moose 5
What filters are a must have?

12 years 11 months ago #57756 by 3p34nn
A polarizing filter is the single most important filter in anyone's gadget bag.

12 years 11 months ago #57757 by Moose 5
i heard alot about that polarizing what does it do

12 years 11 months ago #57758 by 3p34nn
brings out more vivid and natural colors outdoors

12 years 11 months ago #57759 by Ety56
Also helps with reflecting surfaces.

12 years 11 months ago #57769 by Baydream

Moose 5 wrote: i heard alot about that polarizing what does it do

The other folks here are correct. I posted a thread that shows a sample of it's use. After the polarizer, a Neutral Density (ND) or Graduated ND are my second choice (to slow the shutter and to balance the light. My other is a star filter to create those "star bursts" at points of light.
Make sure it is a circular polarizing filter - that allows for adjusting the effect.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #58313 by Yasko
agree, the must have for a digital camera is a polarizer for daylight shots. If you're shooting film, a UV is a good idea too.

12 years 11 months ago #61475 by Henry Peach
I carried a fat filter wallet when I shot film. Since going digital a circ pol is about the only one I commonly use anymore. I have NDs and grad NDs that occasionally get brought out when I know I'm going to need them for a job, but I rarely carry them when I'm just out and about.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #62841 by MLKstudios
Henry is correct. One other thing to add is a filter can add flare to an image, especially with the shiny flat chips used in digital SLR's. So only use a filter when it is needed. A lens hood is the best "protector" for your lens and will often improve color and saturation.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #63181 by DestinDave
Yep - John, Henry, and Matthew are all on the same page and :agree:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #65823 by Stanly
IMHO ND filters and polarized filters are a must have.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75437 by TheNissanMan
Personal opinion on this is none of the above.

If your buying a filter as you've been told it's a must have your buying it for the wrong reason! A lot of toggers seem to suffer from kit envy and will buy sometrhing as it is a must have. I'ld recommend playing with the camera posting some images for crit and seeing what filetrs are suited to the type of photography you enjoy.

Kepp the pennies until you need to spend them to improve the shots that you are taking and enjoy taking. I bought a set of ND filters and grads as they would help with landscape photography, in reality I rarely if ever shoot landscapes/long exposures and as such have a bunch of money sitting in my camera bag that could have been used else where.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75655 by MLKstudios
Good point The Nissan Man makes. When it comes to ANY photographic "gear" you'll know when you need it and won't have to ask for other's opinions. The gear you use are your trade tools. And like any trade, the tools you use most are based on how you approach your work. Some shooters need a tripod (and use it on every shoot), others will never use one.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024