Which Lens for Capturing Indoor Sporting Events?

12 years 11 months ago #78343 by BUV
When I actually upgrade to a better camera, I plan on buying a lens that will suit me best for capturing my children indoor swim meet and hockey games. My question is can I get away with something in the range of 70-300MM with F4.5/F5.6 and still capture decent action shots in the low light setting at the longer focal length? I understand I can bump the ISO up, but I don't know if 1600 is really going to compensate for the lack of light without being too noisy.

12 years 11 months ago #78345 by stephenlite4
swimming and hockey are pretty poorly lit sports from what I've seen, unfortunately. I guess the decision comes down to 2 things... #1, what is the quality of the photo you are going for. #2, what is your budget. If you want really nice looking photos, get a wide aperture lens.

12 years 11 months ago #78349 by Puter
Quality indoor sports photography can require some of the more expensive cameras and lenses available.

Because of reflection from the ice there is usually more available light at a hockey venue than an indoor swimming venue.

300mm will be just enough and most images will still require a crop to get sufficent subject size in the final image. Indoors a maximum, constant aperture of f/2.8 will be needed to get high enough shutter speeds to stop motion. Many hobby sports shooters go with a 70-200mm f/2.8 focal length to keep the lens cost down.

Consider the non-VR, Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D ED, $1100.

Nikon's 70-300 mm lens is just to slow for use indoors. It works fine outdoors.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78353 by Screamin Scott
See if they will allow for flash...If so, then the 70-300 coupled to a powerful flash may be the answer...If not, then the F2.8 is a must & then barely so unless your camera handles high ISO's well...Plus, try to get as close to the action as you possibly can...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78355 by MLKstudios
Unfortunately Puter is correct. A slow zoom is not going to do what you need.

An alternative is to get a fast telephoto prime lens, but even those cost a bit.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #78357 by BUV

Screamin Scott wrote: See if they will allow for flash...If so, then the 70-300 coupled to a powerful flash may be the answer...If not, then the F2.8 is a must & then barely so unless yor camera handles high ISO's well

I'll probably be in the stands, will the flash reach to the pool? and the ice rink? I am sure they will allow flash, every mother in the stands have their point and shoots with flash firing off.

12 years 11 months ago #78367 by McBeth Photography
I've shot a lot a few high school basketball games with my 50mm 1.8 and have been VERY pleased with some of the shots that I was able to capture with my camera. Since you have a D3000, I would suggest that you order a Af-s Nikkor 50mm 1.8G which will focus and function perfectly on your camera. Of course this means the your feet become the zoom, but this is all forgotten when you see the quality pics that you will get.

It is what it is.
12 years 11 months ago #78371 by Screamin Scott

BUV wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: See if they will allow for flash...If so, then the 70-300 coupled to a powerful flash may be the answer...If not, then the F2.8 is a must & then barely so unless yor camera handles high ISO's well

I'll probably be in the stands, will the flash reach to the pool? and the ice rink? I am sure they will allow flash, every mother in the stands have their point and shoots with flash firing off.

Whether or not an external speedlight wil reach the pool will depend on which flash , how powerful it is (guide #) , your ISO setting & the distance to your subject...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78385 by Baydream
Rob pix4u2 (Rob Huelsman) shoots hockey professionally. His lens list includes : 35-70 f 3.3-4.5, 80-200 f 2.8, 300 f 4.
Search forum posts on his user name and see some great shots and good advice on getting them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78673 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Rob pix4u2 (Rob Huelsman) shoots hockey professionally. His lens list includes : 35-70 f 3.3-4.5, 80-200 f 2.8, 300 f 4.
Search forum posts on his user name and see some great shots and good advice on getting them.

Yeh but often Rob's shots suffer from lack of shutter speed (no offense Rob). He would really benefit from one of the following:

Better camera (D3s for example, better high ISO would benefit him greatly. His D80 and D90 are crippling him. ALSO the AF on the D80/90 isn't that great... hockey is fast)
Faster lenses (if his fastest lens is the 80-200 2.8, I can see why he suffers...)
Both (ideally)

He does ok considering though. Hockey is a fast game.
12 years 11 months ago #79389 by icepics
For hockey I think there are variables depending on the venue. Most local rinks I've been to don't allow flash at ice level, but do allow people to stand along the boards (maybe not along the entire rink), at least for high school/junior/youth games etc. Shooting from the stands you'd obviously need a longer lens, and could be above the glass, but I don't think I've seen people using a flash at all (I don't think it would help at that distance anyway).

There's only so much you can do in an arena w/ low lighting; maybe you're lucky enough to be in a newer arena w/updated lighting and where they clean the glass regularly! LOL If you're not behind the netting...

Ninj, don't know if there are dark old hockey barns where you are, with that mercury vapor lighting I think it is?? - but I didn't find that faster film or shutter speeds worked for me, I used 400 and 1/125 mostly. I could actually shoot 800 speed film and even use 1/500 shutter speed - wow - when I went to games at a new rink.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024