Whats your favorite lens and why?

13 years 4 months ago #9577 by Scotty
My lens that is growing on me the most is the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 G. I love the creativity and possibilties it opens up. The canon 35L holds a special place in my heart as well, how about you?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9610 by KZAM
I have a 85mm 1.4 that is my favorite. For being a amateur photographer, I like how fast this lens is and how crisp the images are.

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9615 by Scotty

KZAM wrote: I have a 85mm 1.4 that is my favorite. For being a amateur photographer, I like how fast this lens is and how crisp the images are.

The nikkor 84d or g?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9618 by Screamin Scott
Since I'm into macro, my old Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 stays on my camera more often than not. When it isn't, it's likely to be a 50mm F1.4 Nikkor

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9622 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: Since I'm into macro, my old Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 stays on my camera more often than not. When it isn't, it's likely to be a 50mm F1.4 Nikkor

Macro has always interested me. I had a chance to try out a canon mp-e 65 lens, and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9627 by Fugler

Scotty wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Since I'm into macro, my old Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 stays on my camera more often than not. When it isn't, it's likely to be a 50mm F1.4 Nikkor

Macro has always interested me. I had a chance to try out a canon mp-e 65 lens, and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I noticed you mention above the 14-24mm f/2.8, do you shoot Canon also?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9628 by Fugler
As for me my 105mm f/2.8 is my favorite also, recently I've been spending more time with macro photography, and what isn't there to love about the 105mm, it's a quick lens, great detail and over all great lens.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9638 by Scotty

Fugler wrote:

Scotty wrote:

I noticed you mention above the 14-24mm f/2.8, do you shoot Canon also?

I used to shoot canon, but switched to nikon. Glad I did.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #9643 by Screamin Scott

Scotty wrote:

The higher the magnification, the harder it becomes to get good shots...The MPE-65 goes to 5x life size I believe & as such that is difficult to use unless you have had lots of practice ( & lots of light !). Proper macro shooting techniques increase your keeper rate & those are learned after time & practice...It's like the old saying "nothing worthwhile is easy"...I personally love macro as it opens up a whole new world of photographic opportunities...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9645 by bhowdy
My favorite .... Canon 500mm IS f/4L .... Of course I shoot mostly wildlife. I have a couple of other favorites ... Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Canon 50mm f/1.4

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #9657 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote: My favorite .... Canon 500mm IS f/4L .... Of course I shoot mostly wildlife. I have a couple of other favorites ... Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Canon 50mm f/1.4

You like it more than the 600 f/4?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9659 by bhowdy

Scotty wrote: [quote=You like it more than the 600 f/4?

The image quality for the 500 and the 600 is pretty much the same. The major difference for me is the weight of the 600mm lens. You can hand hold the 500 just fine, for those times when the shot is there and you have to take it quickly. The 600 will wear most folks out in a hurry when trying to hand hold it much.

I typically tell folks that the 500mm lens is hand hold = relatively easily (with practice) but always better with a tripod --- The 600mm lens is a lens that needs to be on a tripod

600mm = 12 lbs (almost 11lbs-13oz)
500mm = 8.5 lbs

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #9667 by Rob pix4u2
My favorite lens is my Nikon 80-200mm f 2.8 . But my close second is my 300mm f 4 ED. Both are great for shooting hockey and the 300 isn't as bulky or heavy as a 300 2.8 . the 80-200 gets great images hand held or on the monopod.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #11122 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote:

Scotty wrote: [quote=You like it more than the 600 f/4?

The image quality for the 500 and the 600 is pretty much the same. The major difference for me is the weight of the 600mm lens. You can hand hold the 500 just fine, for those times when the shot is there and you have to take it quickly. The 600 will wear most folks out in a hurry when trying to hand hold it much.

I typically tell folks that the 500mm lens is hand hold = relatively easily (with practice) but always better with a tripod --- The 600mm lens is a lens that needs to be on a tripod

600mm = 12 lbs (almost 11lbs-13oz)
500mm = 8.5 lbs

I could see that. I rented a 400 f/2.8 before, and i think that was 11 pounds. JUst too much.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11288 by Joves
Well I dont have one favorite my 10.5 fish is on most of the time and, my 80-400VR is my baby when it comes to wildlife.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024