Profoto, Broncolor, Multiblitz, Norman, Speedotron or Elinchrom

12 years 8 months ago #130920 by Boydster
Please see my first post: www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...n-house-photo-studio

I'm building a studio and would like to get some professional lighting gear. Now from my first search I came up with I have added Profoto, Broncolor, Multiblitz, Norman, Speedotron and Elinchrom into my consideration pool. I have started my narrowing down process and Profoto and Elinchrom seem to be winning the poll with Speedotron, Broncolor behind. Norman got some good reviews but was also indicated to be on the more inexpensive side of things. Multiblitz which I found on a FB ad, is all I could find on this company. None of the major retailers Adorama or B&H are selling this gear. So if you have any information on these lights or the others I have listed please post it up. I have a $4500 budget for lighting equipment. So I'm looking to get the best that I can get and the most lighting equipment that I can get. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Craig aka (Boydster)

Canon 7D, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Tokina 12-24
12 years 8 months ago #131048 by Camera Diva
Personally I would go with Profoto or Elinchrom if you have the budget

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131130 by Sawyer

Camera Diva wrote: Personally I would go with Profoto or Elinchrom if you have the budget

:agree: great choices

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131151 by MLKstudios
I grew up with Norman and Speedotron lighting. Up to 9600 w/s packs. They have the punch when you need it.

But, I do agree the Profoto or Elinchrom would be at top of a new list. We don't often shoot large format cameras at f/64 anymore. The extra power isn't as important now as the new technology.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #131581 by Boydster
Good input guys, how about Bowens or Hensel? Man there are so many choices! I'm on the B&H site right now and looking at the Bowens Gemini 500R kits and the Hensel Integra Pro Plus?

Canon 7D, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Tokina 12-24
12 years 8 months ago #131588 by MLKstudios
I've never used Hensel lighting before, so no comment to add. I have owned Bowens Travelites, sold by Calumet, and they are very good quality mono-lights. I had three of the 750 w/s version I used for location shoots.

Similar to sound equipment, you need lighting to match the cubic feet of your studio. The larger the room, the more watt/seconds you'll want to light large objects (or groups).

We used a couple 9600 w/s to light up a house when doing architectural work. 4000 w/s or so would be plenty for an average size studio.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #131592 by Boydster
So you do much architectural photography work? I bet that keeps you moving around?

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131593 by MLKstudios
I teach now, though I still do some work for older established clients. I can shoot what I want to now.

At that time I was just out of school working as an assistant. The old fashioned way to learn the ropes.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #131618 by Boydster

MLKstudios wrote: I teach now, though I still do some work for older established clients. I can shoot what I want to now.

At that time I was just out of school working as an assistant. The old fashioned way to learn the ropes.

Gotcha, good for you. How long you been in photography? You do much studio work?

12 years 8 months ago #131643 by ShadowWalker
With that sort of budget you want to deal with a reputable company. So all the big brands and companies that you find on B&H or Adorama you know are a safe bet. If you can't find them there, that might be good indicator to pass.

Just my 2 cents.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131725 by Superman

ShadowWalker wrote: With that sort of budget you want to deal with a reputable company. So all the big brands and companies that you find on B&H or Adorama you know are a safe bet. If you can't find them there, that might be good indicator to pass.

Just my 2 cents.

So true! Here today, gone tomorrow. The big stores like B&H and Adorama will sell items that they feel will be around for some time. I feel bad for the people who bought the HP Tablets, now HP closing doors on that side of things. :pinch:

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131811 by Prago
My opinion:

1. Profoto
2. Elinchrom
3. Broncolor
4. Speedotron
5. Norman
6. Multiblitz

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131853 by Flash Steven

Camera Diva wrote: Personally I would go with Profoto or Elinchrom if you have the budget

:agree: that's a nice lighting budget. I'd go with these two

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131898 by MLKstudios

Boydster wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: I teach now, though I still do some work for older established clients. I can shoot what I want to now.

Gotcha, good for you. How long you been in photography? You do much studio work?

Over 30 years. I can shoot for my own pleasure now, with few clients to please. Only people I know from when I was shooting commercially.

And yes, I shoot still lifes (aka product photography) on occasion. The shell on the Third Rule thread I shot using a normal table lamp (60 watt bulb maybe) with a reflector and a circular 42" diffuser -- and a tripod of course.

I prefer to shoot people outdoors. I use whatever light is available, including flash.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

11 years 9 months ago #244805 by multiblitz_usa
Hi everyone - sorry to chime in so late....

I will try to make some things clearer and provide some information about Multiblitz. We are a German studio lighting manufacturer that was established in 1948. We haven't been big in the US, b/c we never focused on this market, which is pretty much the only place where brand awareness is low. Worldwide our competitors are Profoto, Elinchrom, Hensel, Bowens. The reason we do not sell at the big name stores is that it is actually expensive to sell retail. We were available at B&H and Adorama until we started selling direct. I'll be happy to answer any question regarding products, technical data or Multiblitz itself.

Thanks....

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024