Just got a new flash unit (Neewer TTL750ii) for my Nikon D3500

3 years 3 months ago #707050 by butcha61
I had an Amazon Gift Card as a Christmas present, so I ordered a new hot-shoe flash for my Nikon D3500.  No offense to Nikon, but I can't believe the cost of the real OEM flashes!

There's dozens of aftermarket flash units by Godox, Yongnuo, Neewer, etc... and are incredibly priced versus the top name brand.

What I like about this flash unit, is the TTL function.  I mean, "set it and forget it", as it just knows what to do and works perfectly with the Nikon.  Put on the small 18-55mm lens, and watch the flash LCD screen.  Zoom out from 18mm and watch the flash change its settings to match the camera lens.  Really cool!
Getting to the point, I am wondering about the "M" mode and manually experimenting with the power levels 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and how that will work with flash photography and taking a nice portrait photo, bouncing the flash upwards off the ceiling.

Do you use TTL or do you mainly stick with the "M" manual setting?  Which is better?

Lastly, please excuse the poor quality photo, as I was using my Samsung Galaxy smartphone and got a little too close, so it's a touch blurry.  Oops....

Attachments:
3 years 3 months ago #707051 by Nikon Shooter
I gladly use TTL when covering events but
M in studio and most "on location" works.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #707056 by Screamin Scott
Basically the same as NS... I'll use auto modes except when I'm shooting macro and need to vary the power settings (that's using an older film era ring/point light which doesn't do TTL)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #707060 by butcha61
Thank you for the replies.  I like the TTL mode as the flash "talks" to my Nikon, if that makes sense.

Here's what I did (sorry, no photos -- just an experiment and then deleted):

Nikon D3500 --> Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G (prime) lens --> Neewer TTL 750ii flash
Tripod mount
10 feet away, aimed at my living room mantle above the fireplace, with various photos on the wall and my wife's knickknacks on the mantle as well.

Nikon's "P"rogram Mode use for the test.  1/60 shutter and f/5.6 aperture, ISO 100.
TTL:  Camera & Flash used f/5.6 and took a perfectly centered photo, not darkened and not bleached out either.

"M" (manual flash):  Camera was using f/4 in the viewfinder.
1/1 power:  Wicked bright, full powered, way way overexposed, bleached out photo.
1/8 power: Bright looking photo, but still pretty nice.
1/16 power: Nice photo, nice colors. (I'm assuming this is what TTL used).
1/64 power: Darkened photo, moody type of appearance.
1/128 power: Darkened more, like a lamp was turned off in the room.

In closing, I am certainly NOT an expert in this field, but am learning by "trial and error".  If I totally screw up a photo, I delete it and learn from my mistake.  I ask questions and learn from others as well.

Edit:  I skipped around on the manual settings and various power levels.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024