Just got a new flash unit (Neewer TTL750ii) for my Nikon D3500

1 year 4 months ago #707050 by butcha61
I had an Amazon Gift Card as a Christmas present, so I ordered a new hot-shoe flash for my Nikon D3500.  No offense to Nikon, but I can't believe the cost of the real OEM flashes!

There's dozens of aftermarket flash units by Godox, Yongnuo, Neewer, etc... and are incredibly priced versus the top name brand.

What I like about this flash unit, is the TTL function.  I mean, "set it and forget it", as it just knows what to do and works perfectly with the Nikon.  Put on the small 18-55mm lens, and watch the flash LCD screen.  Zoom out from 18mm and watch the flash change its settings to match the camera lens.  Really cool!
Getting to the point, I am wondering about the "M" mode and manually experimenting with the power levels 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and how that will work with flash photography and taking a nice portrait photo, bouncing the flash upwards off the ceiling.

Do you use TTL or do you mainly stick with the "M" manual setting?  Which is better?

Lastly, please excuse the poor quality photo, as I was using my Samsung Galaxy smartphone and got a little too close, so it's a touch blurry.  Oops....

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #707051 by Nikon Shooter
I gladly use TTL when covering events but
M in studio and most "on location" works.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #707056 by Screamin Scott
Basically the same as NS... I'll use auto modes except when I'm shooting macro and need to vary the power settings (that's using an older film era ring/point light which doesn't do TTL)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #707060 by butcha61
Thank you for the replies.  I like the TTL mode as the flash "talks" to my Nikon, if that makes sense.

Here's what I did (sorry, no photos -- just an experiment and then deleted):

Nikon D3500 --> Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G (prime) lens --> Neewer TTL 750ii flash
Tripod mount
10 feet away, aimed at my living room mantle above the fireplace, with various photos on the wall and my wife's knickknacks on the mantle as well.

Nikon's "P"rogram Mode use for the test.  1/60 shutter and f/5.6 aperture, ISO 100.
TTL:  Camera & Flash used f/5.6 and took a perfectly centered photo, not darkened and not bleached out either.

"M" (manual flash):  Camera was using f/4 in the viewfinder.
1/1 power:  Wicked bright, full powered, way way overexposed, bleached out photo.
1/8 power: Bright looking photo, but still pretty nice.
1/16 power: Nice photo, nice colors. (I'm assuming this is what TTL used).
1/64 power: Darkened photo, moody type of appearance.
1/128 power: Darkened more, like a lamp was turned off in the room.

In closing, I am certainly NOT an expert in this field, but am learning by "trial and error".  If I totally screw up a photo, I delete it and learn from my mistake.  I ask questions and learn from others as well.

Edit:  I skipped around on the manual settings and various power levels.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021

Latest Articles

Having the skills to take portraits is essential to your success. Buy you also need the right portrait photography gear to help you bring your vision to life.

May 18, 2022

The best wedding photography gear is functional and utilitarian, but also looks good. This leather lens bag ticks all those boxes!

May 17, 2022

If you're in the market for the best used 4K camera, use this guide to compare three top options from Fuji, Sony, and Canon.

May 17, 2022

An acrylic print vs canvas - which one should you get? Use this guide to learn a few questions and considerations to help you decide.

May 16, 2022

Portrait and landscape photography are obviously different, but your approach in planning photoshoots shares many similarities.

May 11, 2022

There are plenty of used Sony mirrorless camera options. Which one is best for your needs? Use this guide to find out!

May 11, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

With these backlit photography tips, you can create engaging, mysterious, and beautiful images of all sorts of subjects, including people, places, and objects.

May 09, 2022