Huge wasp

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #117626 by DonD2
This is just a little sumpt'n sumpt'n we found in our backyard last week. I'd never seen one before and this sucka is HUGE, I'm talkin' 2.5" - 3" long. It is a female Cicada Killer and is actually in the wasp family. The female can sting but usually leaves humans alone or so they say anyway....haha! I know I don't want to find out personally for sure...LOL. Anyhow, once it mates with the male, it apparently looks for a place (in the ground) to make a nest, burrows down, lays her eggs, goes out and kills a Cicad, brings it back into the nest for the larva to eat on after they are born and then she dies after bringing the Cicada into the nest.

I know, it is not an actual macro and it is not the best shot photographically, but I just thought that it might be something that y'all might want to see. So, if this belongs in another thread somewhere, please feel free to move it to the proper place.

(Click to enlarge)
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #117629 by Dori
:ohmy: That thing is huge!!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #117632 by DonD2

Dori wrote: :ohmy: That thing is huge!!!

I'm telling ya. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it, but then again I HATE BEE's, WASP's, HORNETS or any other type of flying stinging creatures.....LOL!
12 years 9 months ago #117667 by chasrich
Huge capture. :judge: :thumbsup:

Is that a stun gun on it's waist? :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #117670 by Baydream
Looks like something out of a B-rated horror flick.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117695 by photobod
one word YUK :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #117726 by DonD2

chasrich wrote: Huge capture. :judge: :thumbsup:

Is that a stun gun on it's waist? :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love that you're a "Punny Guy" too Chas.
12 years 9 months ago #117727 by DonD2

Baydream wrote: Looks like something out of a B-rated horror flick.

I know, right?
12 years 9 months ago #117731 by DonD2

photobod wrote: one word YUK :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is a very apropos word David. 10 points for using your thesaurus today......:rofl: :rofl:
12 years 9 months ago #117733 by Baydream

DonD2 wrote:

That is a very apropos word David. 10 points for using your thesaurus today......:rofl: :rofl:

Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117747 by Gene.Culley
OH yeah, he's a big one. You got pretty close to it!

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117825 by DonD2

Baydream wrote:

DonD2 wrote:

Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

:rofl: :beerbang:
12 years 9 months ago #117830 by DonD2

Gene.Culley wrote: OH yeah, he's a big one. You got pretty close to it!

The only reason that I was able to get that close was because she was in a large plastic jar. You know the kind that you get malt balls in at Costco. Otherwise with my 18-55mm I NEVER would have been that close....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
12 years 9 months ago #117849 by fotozone
:woohoo: I have never seen one like that here and I am glad. Thanks for sharing yours.
12 years 9 months ago #117858 by DonD2

fotozone wrote: :woohoo: I have never seen one like that here and I am glad. Thanks for sharing yours.

I hope that you never have to either Lila and always happy to share....:lol: :lol: B) :whistle:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024