Extension Tube Results

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #123517 by The Time Capturer
Finally tested the extension tubes today. The end result was good but it was a lot of work. I chose one of my regular garden residents as my subject ... a spider.

There were two problems I faced today: breezy conditions and sporatic clouds passing over. Because the extension tubes have no electronics, the aperture is fully open and I chose not to use a flash. I decided upon ISO 400 so I could use faster shutter speeds but, because of the constantly changing light, the shutter speeds chosen were kinda hit and miss. Thankfully I shoot in RAW.

I tried the tubes with two lenses: 18-55mm and 70-200mm. The longer lens was first and I was amazed at just how close I could get to the spider but still stay far enough away to not disturb it. The shorter lens seemed to give better contrast and better colours. Also, the DOF seemed to be a little more spread out, leaving more in focus. What amazed me with this lens is just how close I could get to the subject. I found a tiny snail attached to the underside of a leaf. I captured this image with the snail actually touching the glass ... can't get much closer than that. It was in a shady place and a flash in this case would've been useless. I had to brighten the image in order to see it that's why there's so much noise ... wrong choice of shutter speed here (chimping would've been a good idea in this case).

The following sets of images compare the two lenses. The top image in each series was the 70-200mm lens and the bottom image is the 18-55mm. All are uncropped.

Spider:

Stargazer Lily petal detail:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #123519 by Baydream
Now we're talking fun.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123522 by The Time Capturer
I'm thinking about a ring flash now...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #123526 by fotozone
Nice set of photos you did a great job especially considering the problems you were dealing with.

I'm thinking about a ring flash now...

I have one I need to play with, I keep using my speed light with a soft box.
12 years 8 months ago #123528 by The Time Capturer
I was using the one I made for the end of the lens. But I was using a reversing ring with the 18-55mm and it is designed to fit on the rubber gasket. I don't feel like making another one for the front of the lens. I have way too many projects on the go already ... with more ideas bouncing around in my head. I was going to make my own ring flash but I just don't have the time. It's quicker just to buy one, although I haven't looked at the prices yet.

12 years 8 months ago #123532 by fotozone
The one I got was like $35.00 (US) on e-bay it came from Hong Kong so it took a while to get here and by the time it did I was used to using my $5.00 softbox.
12 years 8 months ago #123647 by Stealthy Ninja
What's with the noise on your pics? Is it the sharpening bringing it out? If you're using LR then try using masking. :)

Great shots though.
12 years 8 months ago #123752 by Dori
Nice!! Very good detail on the spider!! :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #123793 by The Time Capturer

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What's with the noise on your pics? Is it the sharpening bringing it out? If you're using LR then try using masking. :)

Great shots though.

Actually, it was the brightening that caused it. Like I mentioned, the lighting conditions were constantly changing and the shutter speeds, that I was constantly adjusting, were hit and miss. Some were pretty dark. The snail was the worst. I also chose ISO 400 to get faster shutter speeds overall. A good situation for chimping...

12 years 8 months ago #123795 by Screamin Scott
I like the first spider shot the best....Good job !

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123875 by The Time Capturer
Thanks. I have to agree on the spider shot ... well, I don't have to agree, but I do.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024