is this Macro?

12 years 7 months ago #137304 by eryck
I heard of a Panasonic GF3 Micro 4:3 and wondered if my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro could really do the job. I mean compared to all the other Macro I see posted on here, making live bugs look 10 feet tall with stuff I still have not held in my hands like extention tubes and reverse lenses. This area of photography is a new realm to me and I would like to try it out in a more concentrated manner and would like to know what you think of my shot ? It was pretty windy and I was actually waiting for the bus.

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #137307 by Screamin Scott
I'd say it's a close up shot, but not really macro....Zoom lenses that say they are "macro" really only focus somewhat closer, not true macro...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #137318 by eryck

Screamin Scott wrote: I'd say it's a close up shot, but not really macro....Zoom lenses that say they are "macro" really only focus somewhat closer, not true macro...

so is it fair to say Macro starts at 1:1? and whats with Micro is that something different?
12 years 7 months ago #137323 by Screamin Scott
Micro is just Nikon's nomenclature for Macro

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #137361 by 2DeAnn
THIS gives a very detailed explanation of macro photography. ;)

From my limited experience with macro photography, wind is the #1 enemy. I almost get sea sick, watching items through a macro lens, with the smallest of breezes. It really magnifies, the slightest movements. I also try to always use a tripod or monopod and sometime even a remote on the camera. Your hand pressing the shutter, gives a unnoticeable movement to the camera. All boils down to the very small movements effect the final outcome of the photos.

Terrie

The following user(s) said Thank You: eryck
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #137450 by MLKstudios
Nikon has always labeled their "macro" lenses, Micro-Nikkor. I don't know why.

Technically, micro starts at 10:1. Usually a microscope is used, and a camera is attached to one. The lenses used are labeled 10x, 20x, 40x etc.

There is much beauty (and truth) to be found in the macro (and micro) realm. It's an intersting area of photography that is literally endless.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024