RUST - Need some thoughts on these.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #153704 by Joiemagic
Needed some rust shots for a contest... found these up on the roof... They were shot with direct overhead sunlight which is why they are so bright. Think I am gonna use #2. Any thoughts?

Feel free to comment....

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #153827 by icepics
For some reason I think I like the first one better, maybe the second one is a little light? It looks less like rust but you were out in bright sunlight so that gave it a more yellowish look. Not a big difference either way really. Interesting texture.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153830 by chasrich
You got the corrosion part down pat. I'm not thrilled with the color. Just for a lark - I'd pick a favorite then mess with the white balance. Might look better warmer or for that matter even blue it would still be rust.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #153858 by Baydream
I'm thinking a bit warmer would work. Rust is iron oxide, a reddish colour. um.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153869 by mj~shutterbugg
One or two is fine but I have to agree about the color, definitely needs a tweek, IMO.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 7 months ago #153876 by Baydream
#2 warmed a little. Does that look a tad more "rusty"?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #153882 by Joiemagic
OK, two different adjustments... One is warmed a bit, the other is leveled out with some Hue/Sat adjustments. Thoughts everyone?

Original

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #153893 by chasrich
I like number three... It still seems too yellow but much better.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #154052 by rmeyer7
Are these rusty objects still there now? It might be easier to just re-shoot them under better lighting conditions or to create some shade or diffusion, rather than keep trying different post processing options.

12 years 6 months ago #154181 by Joiemagic
Actually, I still have them... thought I would keep them, just in case... so, I can go back with them. I know the rusty surface will still be there....

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154247 by icepics
I'm wondering what the color was on the roof in the existing lighting, because the edits are lighter but still yellowish. So perhaps shooting some more images will give you different options. You said this was macro, would that affect the tone of the color? - would the yellowish color be more noticeable close up? I'm thinking if you were out in bright sun it may have given the rust a more yellowish tone - like the way leaves can look yellowish or light green when bright sunlight hits them compared to being darker green in the shade.

If you shade the objects that will change the shadows the objects made on the surface. I think the shadows add some interesting pattern to the image. Something to look at maybe if you reshoot. Or consider a different lens other than macro? - could be interesting to try different things and see what you get.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154250 by Baydream

icepics wrote: I'm wondering what the color was on the roof in the existing lighting, because the edits are lighter but still yellowish. So perhaps shooting some more images will give you different options. You said this was macro, would that affect the tone of the color? - would the yellowish color be more noticeable close up? I'm thinking if you were out in bright sun it may have given the rust a more yellowish tone - like the way leaves can look yellowish or light green when bright sunlight hits them compared to being darker green in the shade.

Good thoughts. I don't think the macro would change the colour. You're more likely right about the bright sun. Perhaps a screen or white balance change.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154260 by robbie
Playing 'devil`s advocate' does it has to be 'rust' in the entire image?Why not a non-rusty setting and pump up the contrast of the 'rust'.
Goodluck in the contest.

12 years 6 months ago #154269 by rmeyer7

robbie wrote: Playing 'devil`s advocate' does it has to be 'rust' in the entire image?Why not a non-rusty setting and pump up the contrast of the 'rust'.
Goodluck in the contest.

I was just thinking something similar. My thought was, this would be cool on a clean, polished metal surface, maybe brushed stainless steel or something like that. Would show more contrast and give a little reflection.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154412 by Joiemagic
A few thoughts and notes here...

The contest is a weekly contest, with this week't topic being RUST. Could be all rust, a little rust, close-up or distant... These shots were shot in the bright sunlight, and to me, the color is actually close to what it actually is in that light... Maybe a little bit more orange, but still pretty close.

As an added note, they were not shot with a Macro Lens.... they were actually shot with my "Motorola Droid Camera Phone" and were shot very very close. Didn't have my camera with me yesterday, and time was of the essence. Put them in the Macro catagory here cause of the extreme close-up.

Here is the shot info...

ISO: ISO-55
Focal Length: 4 mm
FStop: F/2.8

Because time was of the essence... I have already entered this week's contest using the middle adjusted photo from my repost. Already have a number of votes with some positive comments.

Thanks for all your comments.... Be on the lookout also... I have a bunch of other shots I took yesterday and will post them in another topic...

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024