My smallest water-drop yet!

12 years 1 month ago #205230 by nataewald
Hi there,

It is really my first time ever to try this. I was actually working in the garden and then the sprayer caught my eye and I ended up playing in the garden,..not working!::)

I do not have a tripod,so I sit down and handheld my camera.
Please give C & C??

Thank you
:) :)

Renata Ewald
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #205231 by Darrell
Cool shot :judge:. Water on leaves have great reflection

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nataewald
12 years 1 month ago #205268 by chasrich
Great shots - you sure this is your first attempt? Tell us more about the lens you used? The focus is a bit soft and I'm wondering if you didn't crop too close to see the detail of the drop.

:judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago #205285 by john_m
I like what the first image could be. The heavy crop is just killing the IQ.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 1 month ago #205309 by nataewald
It was truly my very first attempt to do something like this.I am more of a wildlife - elephant lady.
I have used my 70-300mm Tamron Telemacro lens and sit flat on the soil on my bum clinching my arms to my side like we learned in shooting training. My settings were as follows,ISO 400, f/4.5, 1/50sec. Unfortunately I had to crop out about 75 percent of the image,because if I zoomed in to close,you can pick up a movement on the drop.I did try.My next investment will be in a tripod and then I will do it again. Just feel somewhat special knowing how I achieved it!

Thanks for your comments.Any tips how I can do it better would be appreciated.

:) :) :)

Renata Ewald
12 years 1 month ago #205325 by john_m
A tripod would have worked best or even getting right up on it so you dont have to crop.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 1 month ago #205347 by Cyber geek
Your shots look a bit noisey, but good job on the water drop.

12 years 1 month ago #205603 by Hussain Al Mousa
Good start :)

keep them coming :silly:

I am just a guy with a camera...
12 years 1 month ago #205835 by rmeyer7
Great attempt. I have the same lens. :)

Being a telemacro instead of a traditional macro lens, it doesn't really allow you to get as close to the object as you'd like. You have to use the zoom to get the macro-like effect. Cropping unfortunately doesn't get you the results that zooming will.

That being the case, you definitely want to use a tripod with it -- you'll be much happier with the results that way. The lens is a bit soft in general, and I seem to get noticeably worse noise and CA with it compared to anything Canon-branded. (Even compared to a kit lens.) So you'll want to utilize the zoom, and use the lowest ISO you can in order to combat the noise. That's the only way I've been able to get "macro" shots with it that I'm reasonably happy with.

12 years 1 month ago #207067 by nataewald
Thank you for your advise,much appreciated.I noticed that when I zoom in to close the image you could pick up every movement,meaning I do need a tripod. thanks for the tip on the ISO,I' going to try that.

Renata Ewald
12 years 1 month ago #207146 by CWphotos
Not bad, considering you hand-held for them!!! The 400 ISO explains some of the noise...if you want to try agian and don't have a tripod, you might use a bean bag, or large bag of rice on top of a stool, which would enable you to use 100 ISO?
I carry a large bag of rice ( inside an old pillowcase ) in my trunk, for shooting from my car...it works pretty well. If you do get a macro lens, might I suggest a 100mm one? Can't speak for all macro's, but mine is good at infinity, as well as close-up work, so if an animal happens to want its portrait taken while you are focusing on a fly, you can easily switch to a monkey or zebra. ;)

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
12 years 1 month ago #208138 by Ramdas Aswale
excellent ..very nice job.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024