Gecko Close Up

5 years 11 months ago #581381 by G Vernon
In your face close up of a Spanish Gecko
1/400 / F:9 / ISO: 800 / FL: 105mm / Natural light

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581388 by garyrhook
I like the color, composition, subject pose and depth of field here. Nicely seen.

My problem here is that focus appears to have landed on the top of its head, just behind the brow ridges, according to the scales. The eyes and nostrils appear to have been sharpened in post, but the surrounding skin is not sharp. So my eyes keep going back to the top of the head. Its left eye looks good, but its right eye shouldn't be as bright, being on the shadow side of the head.

Looks like an excellent capture of the reflection of the person in its right eye?

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581468 by Eshan Rachit
Nicely dissected Gary! It is still a nice capture overall. 

5 years 11 months ago #581475 by Adam Wilson
really cool! 

5 years 11 months ago #581481 by garyrhook

Eshan Rachit wrote: Nicely dissected Gary! It is still a nice capture overall. 

Thanks. And yes, as I said, there's a lot about this shot that I really like.

Of course, my comments are predicated an the assumption that the OP actually wanted comments.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #581488 by G Vernon

garyrhook wrote:

Eshan Rachit wrote: Nicely dissected Gary! It is still a nice capture overall. 

Thanks. And yes, as I said, there's a lot about this shot that I really like.

Of course, my comments are predicated an the assumption that the OP actually wanted comments.

I don´t mind comments, they can be constructive, but this is an image stack of exposures to extend the plane of focus from the nostrils to beyond the eyes.
The large .jpg (un-edited) is the first in the image sequence with nostrils in focus and eyes OOF, i also included the (5) image stack in Lightroom (Unedited raw Nef Files) showing the eyes and nose out of focus at different stages. I don´t know why it looks to like sharpening in post, perhaps i didnt apply enough de-noise also the Gecko was in early stages shedding so some scales appear softer which was more apparent on it´s side which is why i went for a head shot or may be Photoshop didn´t do a good job stitching the images together? On my wish list this year is Helicon focus which i´ve heard does a more accurate render :-)

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581524 by garyrhook
Okay, that explains a lot. My suggestion of selective sharpening was only a guess; incorrect, though.

I'm surprised it stayed still long enough.

Do you use an app to gather a set of shots quickly, at different distances? Or was this all manual, hoping that you'd covered the need range?

This sort of work is really tough. Me, I'd get the eyes in focus and let the rest go. Without perfection in the stacking (i.e. every little bit in focus front to back), I don't think it's worth the effort. Again, maybe it's just me being drawn to the top of the head.

IMO, my $0.02, YMMV, etc. All that said, a fun image.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581545 by G Vernon
Usually in the field it´s all manual, i use Photoshop to stitch, but about to order Helicon Focus as that software is more accurate being more dedicated.
Yes it´s tough because the bug or animal can and often does move, even a slight twitch can throw everything out of alignment and that´s when you need patience.
The Nikon D850 when i eventually get one has a shift / stack function built in which hopefully should simplify the whole process :-)

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583239 by sierracharlie338
This shot is just plain awesome!

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #583336 by Suni Park
Nicely captured details. 

5 years 11 months ago #583544 by Monica Martinez
Up close! Awesome! 

5 years 11 months ago #583559 by Shadowfixer1
:thumbsup:
5 years 10 months ago #586908 by G Vernon
Thank you Sierracharlie

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586909 by G Vernon
many thanks Suni

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588168 by Kelly Emery
well-photographed! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024