Dusty Miller

6 months 2 days ago #655980 by stevendillonphoto
Dusty Miller is from my Flora collection and was composed at the Aiken County Historical Museum in Aiken, SC.  For this piece, I walked around the plants until I found an artistically pleasing group that allowed a viewing angle into a bush behind them that had dark red/purple leaves.  It helped the subject pop while giving lovely colors to the background.

https://www.stevendillonphoto.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 2 days ago #656038 by Sara Miles
Very nice colors indeed here. The top part is not that focused though, it would have been even better. What do you think? 

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevendillonphoto

6 months 2 days ago #656133 by Joshua Atkins
Vibrant color! I somewhat agree with the focus here. 

6 months 22 hours ago #656264 by Jack Mason
Nice shot! Beautiful  flower with nice colors. 

5 months 4 weeks ago #656373 by Hannah Williams
I think the saturation is a bit extra or is this its natural color? 

5 months 4 weeks ago #656527 by Monica Martinez
Beautiful flower with a really energetic color! 

5 months 4 weeks ago #656672 by Alyssa Briggs
Very interesting capture! Nice vibrant colors! 

5 months 3 weeks ago #656849 by stevendillonphoto

Sara Miles wrote: Very nice colors indeed here. The top part is not that focused though, it would have been even better. What do you think? 

Sara,
It depends.  I have had some success with focus stacking, but I've also been VERY frustrated with it due to software anomalies and mixed focus areas (in other words, where there is an image that has a particular area in focus, the software will pull those pixels from an OOF image).  Focus stacking in Photoshop is almost useless.  I had better luck with Helicon, but it too had similar issues.  And, while it may be possible to hand correct the bad spots, I found that it was taking more than 3 hours per image (in one case nearly 8 hours) and I just couldn't justify that kind of effort on a consistent basis.  I check sharpness and other attributes at 100% magnification (I know that some folks consider that pixel peeping), but I demand that level of quality from what makes the cut.  So while it may have been possible to get the whole thing in focus, I'm OK with the focus falling off as it normally would with a single frame.

5 months 3 weeks ago #656850 by stevendillonphoto

Hannah Williams wrote: I think the saturation is a bit extra or is this its natural color? 

Those are the natural colors.  That's why I spent so much time finding a subject and getting the angle right so that I could include those gorgeous purples in the background.  Also, don't underestimate the colors you are able to get during the golden hours and early morning light.  I do the majority of my composing before most people are out of bed.  :-)

4 months 4 weeks ago #660033 by Breanna Ellington
Really nice. I like this shot. The colors are fine with me. Maybe try some more angles IMO. 

4 months 3 weeks ago #660885 by Eshan Rachit
Not bad! I like the colors of the shot. Good details too! 

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Real estate photography takes time to perfect, but with these tips on real estate photography gear, composition tips for real estate photography, and more, you'll get a leg up on starting your business the right way.

Feb 20, 2020

Wondering how to turn your photography hobby into a career? In this article, learn some professional photography tips to help you start your photography business.

Feb 20, 2020

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

In this Canon EOS 1DX review, learn what features and functionalities this 9-year-old camera has that still makes it a great buy in 2020.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020