Dusty Miller

3 weeks 5 days ago #655980 by stevendillonphoto
Dusty Miller is from my Flora collection and was composed at the Aiken County Historical Museum in Aiken, SC.  For this piece, I walked around the plants until I found an artistically pleasing group that allowed a viewing angle into a bush behind them that had dark red/purple leaves.  It helped the subject pop while giving lovely colors to the background.

https://www.stevendillonphoto.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 5 days ago #656038 by Sara Miles
Very nice colors indeed here. The top part is not that focused though, it would have been even better. What do you think? 

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevendillonphoto

3 weeks 5 days ago #656133 by Joshua Atkins
Vibrant color! I somewhat agree with the focus here. 

3 weeks 3 days ago #656264 by Jack Mason
Nice shot! Beautiful  flower with nice colors. 

3 weeks 2 days ago #656373 by Hannah Williams
I think the saturation is a bit extra or is this its natural color? 

3 weeks 22 hours ago #656527 by Monica Martinez
Beautiful flower with a really energetic color! 

2 weeks 6 days ago #656672 by Alyssa Briggs
Very interesting capture! Nice vibrant colors! 

2 weeks 5 days ago #656849 by stevendillonphoto

Sara Miles wrote: Very nice colors indeed here. The top part is not that focused though, it would have been even better. What do you think? 

Sara,
It depends.  I have had some success with focus stacking, but I've also been VERY frustrated with it due to software anomalies and mixed focus areas (in other words, where there is an image that has a particular area in focus, the software will pull those pixels from an OOF image).  Focus stacking in Photoshop is almost useless.  I had better luck with Helicon, but it too had similar issues.  And, while it may be possible to hand correct the bad spots, I found that it was taking more than 3 hours per image (in one case nearly 8 hours) and I just couldn't justify that kind of effort on a consistent basis.  I check sharpness and other attributes at 100% magnification (I know that some folks consider that pixel peeping), but I demand that level of quality from what makes the cut.  So while it may have been possible to get the whole thing in focus, I'm OK with the focus falling off as it normally would with a single frame.

2 weeks 5 days ago #656850 by stevendillonphoto

Hannah Williams wrote: I think the saturation is a bit extra or is this its natural color? 

Those are the natural colors.  That's why I spent so much time finding a subject and getting the angle right so that I could include those gorgeous purples in the background.  Also, don't underestimate the colors you are able to get during the golden hours and early morning light.  I do the majority of my composing before most people are out of bed.  :-)

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Sony a6100 was recently announced to much fanfare. The question is, does it live up to the hype or is it just a glorified a6000? Find out in this a6100 first look.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019

With these fall foliage photography tips, you'll learn a few fall photography ideas and solid methods for capturing beautiful photos of fall colors.

Sep 11, 2019

Family portrait posing mistakes are easy to make, even for seasoned photographers. In this guide, learn a few tricks for making the most of family photo poses.

Sep 11, 2019