Honeybee on a Maple tree bud...

4 years 3 months ago #672329 by Screamin Scott
My front yard is abuzz with lots of Honeybee, Hoverflies and other flies since my Maple trees buds have opened...

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D7100
Lens: 0.0 mm f/0.0
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:54pm

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #672431 by Adam Wilson
Very nice details. The colors are really nice. 

4 years 3 months ago #672554 by Kyle Johnson
Very goof focus! Nicely captured and beautiful colors. 

4 years 3 months ago #672727 by Hannah Williams
I love this shot. Very nice timing! 

4 years 3 months ago #672891 by stevendillonphoto
Lovely colors and details.

4 years 3 months ago #672900 by Suni Park
I like the details of the shot. The colors are so vivid. 

4 years 3 months ago #673032 by Bobby Mitchell
This maple shot is really good. The details are on-point. 

4 years 3 months ago #673419 by [email protected]
Scott,
 Absolutely gorgeous!!.  The color, detail , sharpness, all there.  This is what I am striving for but just can't quite get there.  Is this a stacked photo?  What lens , shutter speed and f stop, iso.

Marc

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673420 by [email protected]
Sorry, just now saw the data sheet on the photo( still learning this website)
Marc

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673427 by Screamin Scott
I use an older (mid 1980's) manual focus Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 macro lens. This shot was handheld in my front yard (temp was in the low 70's). The shot was cropped as the buds were a few feet overhead. I have about 9 true macro lenses, some AF, most are MF from the Sigma, Lester Dine, Nikon, Tamron, Spiratone & Vivitar. I have found that technique trumps brand. All of these will produce good results if one's technique is good.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673428 by [email protected]
Well I've got a G series 90mm f/2.8 Sony so I don't think I can blame the equipment. I know I need lots more practice ( especially at handheld) before I can get your results , but you mention techniques....there is the skill level, which obviously you have acquired , but that aside, its shutter speed, f stop and iso( of course lighting...probably the biggest variable and most difficult to teach.). So I need to make sure I'm in the ballpark with the mechanical basics ( camera settings).
I have with my a7rii, , on manual focus of course, the ability to focus thru lens and do a " super digital " zoom, and I've been trying that but all my images seem to be still slightly soft, . So if I assume my focus is as good as can be, then its the camera settings where I must be coming up short. Also, I wear glasses and even on the off chance that I just don't see things in focus like everyone else, the going back and forth to get best focus image , shouldn't matter whether my glasses are good or not, its either in best focus or not , right?
I have so much to learn, but eager, thanks for any advice

Marc

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673429 by John Landolfi
Jewel-like technical precision!:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673430 by Screamin Scott
Thanks John ...

Marc, I also use additional lighting on my macro shots. Either a softbox equipped speedlight or else a ring/point light. I seldom use a tripod. The additional light allows me to stop down the aperture to get maximum DOF. The short duration of the flash stops motion, be it my own or my subjects. That said, the more you shoot, the better your results will be...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024