Photographic Rarity

12 years 10 months ago #108825 by The Time Capturer
As some of you may know, from reading my forum posts, I document all the plants and critters that I see. If I find something new, I photograph it, then research it and find out what it is. The subject of this posting is the Viper's Bugloss, an invasive wildflower that is found in waste areas and along roadsides in Canada. Although you may recognise it as that annoying weed that got tangled in the sprockets of your bike when you were a kid, you may not know it by name. Up close, it is quite beautiful and is almost always blue, hence it's nickname: Blueweed.

However, after doing research on it (I didn't know it's name either), I discovered, on rare occasions, it occurs in white. Ah, the quest has begun. Not long after, guess what? Found one! Here it is in white:

So I found a white one ... big deal, right? Read on. My original research sent me to several different websites. Most of them showed them as mainly blue, rarely white, but none of them ever mentioned any other colour at all. So, here's where it starts to get interesting. I also found a pink one:

I've still never seen a reference to the pink ones. So, I have photographed the normal blue, the rare white, and the unreferenced pink. Big deal, I got lucky. Still not impressed? What if I told you that I found all three of these colours growing in the same 10 ft square area of a ditch beside the road and have not seen them anywhere else ... and only in 2008? Since then, only blue ones have been there. I guess it was my time of glory. Here are all three colours in the same image:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #108843 by Maria21
wow, that's impressive. What a great find. Did you submit the pictures to a national plant periodical to see just how rare the pink ones are? Great pics BTW.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #108845 by The Time Capturer

Maria21 wrote: wow, that's impressive. What a great find. Did you submit the pictures to a national plant periodical to see just how rare the pink ones are? Great pics BTW.

I might now. The only images I've ever sent were what I thought to be bear tracks. I sent them to The Ministry of Natural Resources. Because the footprints were in mud and appeared to be overlapped (too many claws for one foot), they couldn't identify what kind of animal may have produced them.

I'm considering these images now. I'm wondering if weather conditions might play a role in why odd colours would appear one year but not the next ... from the same plant.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #108846 by Maria21
Check into it, you might very well have found a new plant...if it's a anniversary plant, it may only occur once every so many years & you just happened to capture it.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago #108862 by Augphoto
Wow, that's an amazing story. You may never see them other colors again! Good thing you have them documented. Many people see amazing things yet get no record of them.

Two weeks ago I spotted my own oddity (though not as rare as your sighting). Ever hear of a 'piebald' deer? I know strange name but I didn't come up with it.

12 years 10 months ago #108870 by The Time Capturer
No. Never heard of it, how does it differ from other deer?

12 years 10 months ago #108874 by Augphoto
They are a genetic defect were the deer is colored brown and white. I first thought of an albino but quickly dismissed it because they are ALL white. I didn't know what I had seen until I googled them.

Got to love google!

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #108877 by The Time Capturer
That's pretty cool. Maybe a "semi-bino." ;)

...and yes, gotta love Google.

12 years 10 months ago #108879 by Screamin Scott
I'm wondering if the soil's PH has anything to do with the coloration (like Hydrangeas)...Nice lloking blooms though. I like looking for assorted wildflowers as well (read weed blooms)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #108900 by The Time Capturer

Screamin Scott wrote: I'm wondering if the soil's PH has anything to do with the coloration (like Hydrangeas)...Nice lloking blooms though. I like looking for assorted wildflowers as well (read weed blooms)

Can't find "weed blooms" in the forum search ... only this post comes up.

12 years 10 months ago #108924 by chasrich
WTG. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #108946 by photobod
Having started to photograph flowers I must start to identify them, thats a great story about the three different colours, maybe if you found a new plant they would name it after you :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I have found this site www.mywildflowers.com/

Can anyone recommend any other sites please

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #108990 by Baydream
I would send your story and photos to DNR or local University and ask their staff to take a look. Fascinating.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109003 by Trudehell
White and red clover have mixed into Alsike clover .- or at least that's what they taught me at agricultural school. I though maybe that's what's happened here?

I found this site , showing a pink species in France.

Thanks for sharing!

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109020 by Screamin Scott

The Time Capturer wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: I'm wondering if the soil's PH has anything to do with the coloration (like Hydrangeas)...Nice lloking blooms though. I like looking for assorted wildflowers as well (read weed blooms)

Can't find "weed blooms" in the forum search ... only this post comes up.

I meant in my personal collection, only some of which are on here....There are some more on my Flickr stream, but since I let the "Pro" account expire, even that stream doesn't show most of them...I also like to identify my finds & use davesgarden.com/ as a resource guide ...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024