White Egret...

12 years 8 months ago #133013 by Dori
In the park yesterday, this fellow decided to say hello to us. He's about 10 feet from us.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #133020 by MLKstudios
Nice. Did you feed him (or her)?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #133037 by chasrich
I'm betting someone had a fishing pole... These guys are almost always in the company of someone fishing.

As you can see this bird is showing some interest.

In my personal theory the real attraction is when someone breaks out a camera...:rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #133039 by MLKstudios
Is it possible to tell if it is a He-gret or a She-gret? Just by looking?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #133056 by robbie

MLKstudios wrote: Is it possible to tell if it is a He-gret or a She-gret? Just by looking?

Oh boy!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12 years 8 months ago #133058 by robbie
Your 'whites' are blown,you need to shoot in raw with about -.7ev to prevent blowing out the whites.
Better to bracket in .3 steps to better gauge it.
Nice shot still.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #133059 by MLKstudios
My guess was it got blown in post. Ya think, maybe?

BTW, can you believe I was just accused of being serious?

Someone doesn't know me very well. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #133060 by chasrich
I have noticed they get a greenish hue around their eyes that is more prominent in the spring.

Other than this sign of mating availability I'm not sure there is a way to tell them apart. The males engage in a fancy dance to impress the female but once the music stops they seem identical.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #133061 by Dori
Good point Charles, we see people fishing in the pond behind him.

Not sure, how to tell boy from girl.
Thanks for commenting everyone!

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #133062 by MLKstudios
Thanks chas! I don't think I've ever seen one dance before.

The She-grets don't have their own dance?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #133069 by chasrich
I'm no dance interpreter but what I got from the dance... The male elevated himself fifteen feet straight up to the level of the female... Pretty strenuous stuff! The female opened her wings in a gesture saying - Hey there is no room for you here. This spot is occupado! I'm pretty sure once the lights go down they have a We-gret version of the Tango!

12 years 8 months ago #133070 by robbie

MLKstudios wrote: My guess was it got blown in post. Ya think, maybe?

BTW, can you believe I was just accused of being serious?

Someone doesn't know me very well. ;)

I think it got blown by not compensating for the sun hitting that area of the bird,one of the drawbacks of shooting in very bright light.
Yep,I can believe it but it`s nice to see you having fun....He-gret /She-gret..whats wrong with Egret?!!!!...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #133074 by chasrich
These birds are really white - like Robbie points out they do get blown out easily. On the fly they will go past a shadowed background which compounds the problem as the camera tries to compensate. I usually go with a spot exposure and can get the shot IF the spot is on the bird. I have hundreds of shots where the bird is overexposed or with no details other than stark white!

Doris shot is really not bad... :judge: :thumbsup:

12 years 8 months ago #133090 by robbie

chasrich wrote: These birds are really white - like Robbie points out they do get blown out easily. On the fly they will go past a shadowed background which compounds the problem as the camera tries to compensate. I usually go with a spot exposure and can get the shot IF the spot is on the bird. I have hundreds of shots where the bird is overexposed or with no details other than stark white!

:agree:
Well said Charles,that`s the beauty of Raw to bring back some over/under exposure.I don`t use 'spot' metering but matrix metering with ev compensation.I`m sure either way does the job.The problem is worse shooting say a pelican,dark bird with whites...tricky!!

12 years 8 months ago #133114 by Dori

robbie wrote:

chasrich wrote: These birds are really white - like Robbie points out they do get blown out easily. On the fly they will go past a shadowed background which compounds the problem as the camera tries to compensate. I usually go with a spot exposure and can get the shot IF the spot is on the bird. I have hundreds of shots where the bird is overexposed or with no details other than stark white!

:agree:
Well said Charles,that`s the beauty of Raw to bring back some over/under exposure.I don`t use 'spot' metering but matrix metering with ev compensation.I`m sure either way does the job.The problem is worse shooting say a pelican,dark bird with whites...tricky!!

Thanks very much for the encouragement! I use RAW now, just don't know what I am doing! :rofl:

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024