The Weekend Birds

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #153106 by chakkaradeep
Got my Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and went out for a quick photo session!

Below are some of the birds - Comments/feedback welcome :)

img\def

Shag (Little Pied) by DigitalBreak , on Flickr

img\def

img\def

Tui by DigitalBreak , on Flickr

img\def

Brown Seagull by DigitalBreak , on Flickr

img\def

img\def

Thanks,
Chaks

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #153978 by chakkaradeep
Any feedback/suggestions/comments much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #153979 by chasrich
Very nice... That new lens is working pretty good. If these were autofocus then it is a very fine lens indeed... If it was manual focus then you deserve some credit.

#1 could have used some fill flash. The first time I heard this I thought I was going crazy but apprently fill flash can help especially on these darker birds out in the sunlight. I have to remind myself to try this technique more often when I'm shooting birds.

:judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #153980 by chakkaradeep

chasrich wrote: Very nice... That new lens is working pretty good. If these were autofocus then it is a very fine lens indeed... If it was manual focus then you deserve some credit.

Thanks :) Really enjoying the new lens - great quality images even at the maximum zoom!

All the shots are autofocus. Still an amateur in manual focus :)

chasrich wrote: #1 could have used some fill flash. The first time I heard this I thought I was going crazy but apprently fill flash can help especially on these darker birds out in the sunlight. I have to remind myself to try this technique more often when I'm shooting birds.

Thanks for that tip! It was very bright out there and apparently the subject became a bit darker. I had to delete some shots as I got the sun glare in the waters.

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #154713 by chakkaradeep
Got LR3 and played with exposure, brightness, fill light.

How does the enhanced version look now?

Original:

img\def

Modified (Enhanced):

img\def

Modified Shag by DigitalBreak , on Flickr

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #154815 by bhowdy
chakkaradeep -

Your images are a nice start to bird photography, which is very difficult. Hopefully I can offer a few comments and you will understand that they are not meant as criticism, but as helpful advice.

1) The first 3 images are what I term as "hot". It is not easy to shoot in bright sunlight, I am guessing mid-day perhaps. Try to photograph wildlife and birds in the soft early and late light of the day ... overcast days work well too. A circular polarizer would have helped these images. Additionally on these bright days shoot at the lowest ISO that your camera is capable of ... 100 or lower. Get the shutter speed up as high as practical .... 1600 is not to high when it is this bright

2) The seagull images are nice, but I caution you to "Look thru your shots" To see the background. The clutter in your background for these three shots is very distracting.

3) On the first two ... While not always possible ... try and get as low as possible. The lower the perspective to the bird the more pleasing and "traditionally acceptable" a bird image will be.

4) Chas' recommendation of fill flash is an excellent one .... I will add an image shot using fill flash as an example what it can do

5) Keep these images and look back on them in a year ... If you continue to photograph birds you will be amazed at the difference between these images and the ones taken in a year ....

Looking forward to seeing future images

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #154857 by Joiemagic
Nice captures... DoF is perfect... Makes you focus on the subject for sure.... :judge:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 6 months ago #154902 by robbie

bhowdy wrote: chakkaradeep -

Your images are a nice start to bird photography, which is very difficult. Hopefully I can offer a few comments and you will understand that they are not meant as criticism, but as helpful advice.

1) The first 3 images are what I term as "hot". It is not easy to shoot in bright sunlight, I am guessing mid-day perhaps. Try to photograph wildlife and birds in the soft early and late light of the day ... overcast days work well too. A circular polarizer would have helped these images. Additionally on these bright days shoot at the lowest ISO that your camera is capable of ... 100 or lower. Get the shutter speed up as high as practical .... 1600 is not to high when it is this bright

2) The seagull images are nice, but I caution you to "Look thru your shots" To see the background. The clutter in your background for these three shots is very distracting.

3) On the first two ... While not always possible ... try and get as low as possible. The lower the perspective to the bird the more pleasing and "traditionally acceptable" a bird image will be.

4) Chas' recommendation of fill flash is an excellent one .... I will add an image shot using fill flash as an example what it can do

5) Keep these images and look back on them in a year ... If you continue to photograph birds you will be amazed at the difference between these images and the ones taken in a year ....

Great tips Bob,couldn`t said it any better.
I uses exposure compensation[ec] to control the exposure in the bright sun...shooting in Raw will
correct your exposures if it is close.Always use 'continious focus',the slightest movement will throw off your focus.Focus on the eye in stationary shots.Use Aperture Priority,don`t use 'Program' because the setting the camera chooses might not good for the situation.

12 years 6 months ago #154940 by chakkaradeep

bhowdy wrote: chakkaradeep -

Thanks heaps for these tips! :)

These are my first shots with my new Pro lens and I am still an amateur, so these tips will be very useful for my photography. The shots here were pretty much decided on the spot - I did not go out for the birds, but ended up taking snaps of them :)

It would be of great help if you are able to take a look at the two images I have uploaded in this same thread - one without any modifications and the other with modifications in LR3 (with Fill) - do you think the Shag is better in the modified one?

Cheers,
Chaks

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024