Tonight's Sunset - What a bummer... And then ???

12 years 6 months ago #156417 by chasrich
I've been going out to shoot the sunset for the past three nights. The first two night it was absolutelu clear and aside of a pink sky it was pretty much a bust. Last night it was a little better as there was a few light clouds in the sky.

I needed a good sunset for the end of my week 3 lesson. (Yes Mathew I have been working on it this week...). Tomorrow we are forecast to have 100% rain. I was hoping tonights sunset would be a bit more dramatic... I was wrong.

Ten minutes to sunset... 6:35 This does not look good.

Sunset was approximately 6:45

I decided to wait and see what might happen.
6:57 Looking a bit better...

7:01 Getting better still

7:03 I'm hoping this might get better still

7:05 It is changing fast and getting better with each minute...

7:07 OK - This was what I had hoped for... Awesome!

7:10 It is 25 minutes past sunset. It is starting to get pretty dark and the sky is shifting into a deep purple color. I'm pretty much awestruck at this point

I'm usually pretty impatient but not only did I not abort at the crappy conditions I stayed much longer than I thought I could. I watched the sunset fade in my mirror as I drove NE towards home.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #156421 by mj~shutterbugg
:judge: :judge: :judge: Wonderful series Charles! I think your patience was definitely rewarded. My personal favorite is the last one- very dramatic and moody- love it!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #156422 by J. Hansen
Well worth the wait!!! :judge: I like it!!!

12 years 6 months ago #156469 by robbie
The beauty of the eveningwas worth the wait,awesome series Charles!

12 years 6 months ago #156499 by Pixelchix
Wow patience IS a virtue!! From the first one to the last. Who would have thought! Beautiful

12 years 6 months ago #156555 by Dori
Stunning shots! You captured these beautifully!!! :judge: :thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #156657 by photobod
To be honest I think I would have aborted much earlier so well done for sticking around, the 2nd from last is a corker :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #156675 by chasrich
Thanks everyone. I tend to agree with you David. The second from last did have a certain appeal to me. The last one though had a certain regal look to it. The scene faded pretty fast after that last one. I tried to give a good progressive look to a series that required me to take well over a hundred exposures. I learned a lot by switching exposure modes and even exposure points. Sun rise and sun set can sometimes be a five minute event - this particular one gave me and the camera a good thirty minute workout.

I was one of those occasion when I think of many of you guys and how much fun we could have sharing the event.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156708 by icepics
This shows how persistence can pay off - it takes developing your skills, the effort on your part, and having a vision for it to get the photos you wanted. I bet you feel good about what you accomplished! A couple of them look like it might be worth a bit of an adjustment, but you got some stunning images. (I love 7:05, the last two got a bit dark as it was getting darker outside.) Beautiful job.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 6 months ago #156809 by Shanna-Marie
Thank you for having a ton of patience Rich to capture all these shots so you could share them with us. Absolutely amazing colors, Sooo beautiful.....Very well done my friend! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 6 months ago #156839 by Joiemagic
Amazing set of photos... love the progression of the sunset... :cheers:

:thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 6 months ago #159499 by hotmama_029
Sunset photos are my favorite!! very nice!

12 years 6 months ago #159515 by fotozone
I had missed this thread what an awesome series. I love the last 2 beautiful.
12 years 6 months ago #159531 by John Landolfi
:thumbsup:

chasrich wrote: Thanks everyone. I tend to agree with you David. The second from last did have a certain appeal to me. The last one though had a certain regal look to it. The scene faded pretty fast after that last one. I tried to give a good progressive look to a series that required me to take well over a hundred exposures. I learned a lot by switching exposure modes and even exposure points. Sun rise and sun set can sometimes be a five minute event - this particular one gave me and the camera a good thirty minute workout.

I was one of those occasion when I think of many of you guys and how much fun we could have sharing the event.

With your shooting, and your presentation, you have shared, beautifully!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160776 by Lonestarlady61
Wonderful series. Well worth the wait.

I want a good wide angle lens and more money for photo trips.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024