What can you do when the environment is just blase'

12 years 2 months ago #196924 by chasrich
I think part of my winter time doldrums is that everything looks so dead and lifeless. I'm wondering what remedies are there for those days when the sun just refuses to shine.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #196926 by Provo
nice shot's

PROVO

12 years 2 months ago #196952 by Dori
Well done considering the rotten conditions!!! :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #196967 by Scotty
Wait for snow. It changes your environment drastically. You can also use black and white. Concentrate on texture and form.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196984 by Provo
for the heron you could've used the speedlight with a better beamer like I use
the other shot distance to subject is too far.

Bringing up the ISO might help but it will certainly introduce more noise to your image.

PROVO

12 years 2 months ago #197012 by chasrich
I had bumped the ISO up to 400 but even that gave me some slow shutter speeds on many of my earlier shots... at 270mm I should have had the shutter up to 1/500th of a second for birds in flight. Next time the ISO will rise to the occasion for sure!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #197099 by bhowdy
Chas -- Sometimes the weather and in particular the sky just doesn't cooperate. It's frustrating I know .... On those days I just play with shots and different looks, "just to see" And then honestly most of those get deleted!

The osprey/fish shot was gonna be tough, no matter what .... but you made the best of it .... I might try turning it into a black and white image in post processing, just to see what it looks like.

I'm not sure that a flash and a beamer would have done much for the GBH shot. I also use flash and a better beamer for wildlife images but my experience has been that the combo give the best results when a subject is "backlit" or if I am trying to save a blue sky when much of the subject is in a dark setting (like a bear in a tree ...black bear, dark green leaves and then a bright sky .... that can be tough) I don't find that the Better Beamer helps much on a dishwater sky kind of day.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 2 months ago #197149 by chasrich
Thanks for all the hints and tips. I'm gonna look into a beamer for the flash for those occasions where the subject is just too shaded. Today is a brighter day and I intend to go back to the nesting sites I found this week. Maybe fortune will bless me with a few shots worth sharing. :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024