first hdr of a 50's dumptruck and sunset

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198508 by H3
[attachment:2]D:\truckhdr-2.jpg[/attachment]
so my first hdr i exposed for sky then truck then forground, i did not do the -2 correct and +2, is that just a general guidline to capture more range? or is it a more binding rule to be a true hdr? anyways im happy with the results no were near perfect, but i feel good for it being my first. im looking foward to any and all cc good or bad, as well as any tips any one might have. thanks and have a great day/night

h3photography.smugmug.com
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #198532 by chasrich
I applaud your efforts. Just yesterday I took several shots with different exposures so I might play with the idea of HDR and see what I come up with. I have yet to process anything in this arena though and I do admire you at least crossing over that threshold.

There are a lot of HDR shooters out there and everyone is forming their opinions about what looks good. Generally speaking a majority of people will reject a HDR if it is overdone. Some people actually think HDR, as a genre is bad because of the examples they have seen that were cooked a bit too hard. Some of the best photos I've seen look like HDR but they are done so delicately that one might wonder if they are really HDR. You left no doubt in this piece. My only criticism is this is done to an extreme. But again it is a matter of choice like so much of what we do.

I would like to see the foreground not quite so bright and to a lesser degree darken the truck a little. A+ on the choice of subject and composure - the image is very compelling. Well done!

:judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #198545 by H3
i see what you mean i have been shooting about 5 months now and really trying to learn all i can, i think the next step is to color calibrate my monitor. when i look at stuff on another computer it always comes across much warmer. i wanted to give a strong hdr look for the first one i did i figured if i can make it hardcore hdr i can make it much more taistful as well it amazed me at the amount of detail you can pull out of it tho

12 years 2 months ago #198546 by H3

here is a slightly less one i made 3 to see how they would look in the end do you think this is better?

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #198549 by Darrell
I like the first one better, I do agree the foreground is bright. Perhaps an easy adjustment would be to use PS, and just tone down foreground only. One thing about HDR, everyone sees it differently. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198572 by john_m
I have been playing around with HDR for a little while now and actually enjoy it haha. I think had you shot the 3 exposure of the truck ,however you bracket (3 or 5 exposures), you would have gained alot more detail in the truck.

Ohh and sometimes overcooked HDR images are actually kinda nice haha.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 months ago #198588 by chasrich
Thank you so much for taking my advice to heart and creating the darker version. Yes I like it better - the question is... Do you? Also I like that you took the time to share your process with us. It is a great help for us almost ready to take the leap. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #198618 by photobod
I like the sky and the truck but as Charles says the foreground looks bright, try changing foreground only but keep it about half way between first and 2nd photos :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #198722 by rmeyer7
Looks like the same thing happened to you that I've experienced several times -- clouds moving too fast! In your first image it's a lot more obvious than the second.

My advice would be to keep the first image but replace the sky using just a doctored up version of the single exposure that was metered for the sky. Then on the truck and foreground, I'd probably tone down the saturation a bit. You might also want to adjust the levels a bit, or even try some dodging and burning to get how you want it.

It's a great first effort! :judge:

This is just my two cents... I'm not exactly a pro at HDR, but I've played around with it and managed to create some HDRs that I like. If you want an expert's opinion or advice, wait for either Scotty or Provo to chime in. They're both awesome with HDR.

12 years 2 months ago #198967 by H3

thanks for the feedback here is round 3 and i think this is better then the other two i toned it down a bit, and then opened it up in photoshop and put the sky one i took on top then alt layermask turned the flow down to 7% and painted in the sky a bit to darken thanks for all the cc i appreceate it alot

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #198973 by chasrich
Good job... I like this one a lot. :judge: :judge: :judge:

12 years 2 months ago #198980 by Dikshant Walia

chasrich wrote: Good job... I like this one a lot. :judge: :judge: :judge:

me tooo last one is a complete balance image...:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it"
check/like my fb page at
www.facebook.com/Dikshant.walia01

12 years 2 months ago #198981 by Darrell
Very nice... :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #199140 by rmeyer7
Big improvement, nicely done!

:judge:

(If I were to be really picky...I might want to dodge some of the shadow out of the front of the truck, but not really necessary ;) )

12 years 2 months ago #199147 by Scotty
I thoroughly enjoy the third one. I'd use a high pass sharpening over a normal in this one to make colors come out a little more.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024